Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kordana rose

Posted by spirit57 4 (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 16:10

I have another kordana rose from walmart. The last one I got I did plant outside, now I am finding out your not suppose to do that. My one I put outside is still alive. I got another one for a gift. Can someone please tell me the proper place to plant theses? Can they be outdoors full sun or not full sun. Searching on the internet I get different answers. I am in zone 4. In pots or the ground. Garden center said to put it in a pot than bring it in in the fall. Than she said they did not sell them so was not for sure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kordana rose

Outside, in full sun. You can put them in the ground or in a pot, but you'll have to do something to keep it protected over the winter. In your zone, if you put it in the ground, you'll have to do some kind of winter protection (coving with soil or mulch or wrapping with burlap). If you keep it in a pot, bring the pot into an unheated garage or basement for the winter, keeping the soil moist, but away from light and heat.

o

According to helpmefindroses.com, you can use these as borders, in rosebeds or keep them in pots.

Here is a link that might be useful: kordana

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 20:31

I have some in pots and some in the ground. They do well either way as long as they're OUTSIDE!

o

I just rec'd a kordana rose plant as a gift. I live in zone 6. I am looking to move in the next couple months and dont know what to do. should i plant the plant outside and then dig it up in a couple months or just keep it as is until I move?
Also is it safe to plant outdoors in zone 6?

o

I would move it into a bigger pot to give the roots room to grow. Next spring you can plant it outdoors. As we keep saying, roses are outdoor plants. They will do quite well in zone 6 if given adequate sunshine, water and care.

o

I bought Kordana roses from CVS when they were selling them for Easter. Keep them in they kitchen and was watering them at the most once a week think I could plant them outside when the weather turned warmer. None of them died and around late april I planted them in a garden I had cleared useing QuickStart and soil with peet mulch, no fertiilizer and mulch. Now I find them growing much bigger and spreading out, so I thought maybe them needed something to grow up not out. I looked online and found out them are supposed to be kept in a pot. Now how do I kept the roses growing and survive the winter in the ground? Or can I?

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 26, 13 at 21:17

I don't know where you're getting this information that these roses should be kept inside. It's not true at all. Roses, all roses, ALWAYS prefer being OUTSIDE! Roses like very high light levels and humidity. You would not keep your home bright enough or damp enough for them to be happy. You did the right thing and should have no problem wintering them in the ground. I don't know what zone you're in but if you want you can pile some mulch over their bases in the very late fall after a couple of hard frosts for some added winter protection. In the early spring when you see them begin to leaf out again pull the mulch back and prune off any winter damaged cane tips. They should come back with out a problem.

Miniature roses are only miniature in the size of the leaves and blooms. The plants themselves will get as large as any other rose. If yours are getting big it's because they are healthy and happy! Keep them watered and feed them some balanced fertilizer once in a while and they'll bloom all summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here