Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill_perry_gw

Anyone know the name of this tiny rose

jill_perry_gw
18 years ago

The plant isn't tiny, it's a normal size mini, and the flower clusters are huge, but the individual flowers are tiny. They're pink in the center, fading paler, and a bit greenish on the outer petals.I'd love to have a plant of it.I've posted a picture. The plant is about a foot high and a bit more than that across.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1207482}}

Comments (11)

• msrose
    18 years ago

Jill - Is there any way you can get a close-up picture of the blooms?

Laurie

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No, it was on a garden tour, so I can't get there again. My digital camera isn't that good at closeups unless I use a tripod and timer delay.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

I think it might be The Fairy, which is a Polyantha.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Fairy at Helpmefind.com

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm afraid the flowers of this rose are much too tiny to be a poly. They're smaller than my pinkie-nail. More like a micro-mini.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

I'll stand by The Fairy. It has small blooms. See if you can find one at a garden center or botanical garden or someone's garden nearby.

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I know The Fairy, and both the plant and flowers are much larger than this rose- I'm talkin' TINY!

• User
    18 years ago

Jill, I strongly suspect you were looking at 'Blue Mist', one of Ralph Moore's early Miniatures. Masses of blooms on a Polyantha-like shrub. I will photograph mine for you in a minute.

Paul

• User
    18 years ago

Jill,
    Here are some photos of my plant of 'Blue Mist'. The bush is about 18" tall and wide, and individual blooms are about 1/2 inch in diameter. The foliage is very multiflora influenced.

{{gwi:1207483}}
    {{gwi:1207484}}
    {{gwi:1207485}}

Paul

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul, but I don't think so for several reasons. The color of Blue Mist is darker, and lacks the greenish outer petals. I think it also doesn't fade as much as the one I saw. The clusters on that one were so tightly packed, and surrounded by leaves, that it looked like you could cut off a cluster to use as a tussy-mussy for a little girl's tea-party. That's what I found so darling about it. I looked at all the minis at the Heritage yesterday, and didn't see one like it. I think it's something pretty rare, and may take me a long time to find another one. I guess I should have gotten up the nerve to ask for a cutting.

• cindi
    18 years ago

I know this is a long shot because it could be so many roses. This was the first rose that came to my head. An old popular small rose before the Fairy was Pink Rosette. At least before I heard of the Fairy. I did not do no hard searching for more photos but in HMF Kaye, has a photo. Gray has a photo but does not show the size of the new blooms tight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Kaye photo in HMF. Pink Rosette.

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I see they have Pink Rosette at the Heritage, so I'll look at it next time I'm there. I found another picture of it and the form of the clusters looks about right, but it don't think the flowers of the rose I saw were big enough to have that many petals.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!