Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petsitterbarb

Grace Seward

petsitterbarb
14 years ago

I just saw Grace Seward on the Nor'East site, and love her look! Any info would greatly be appreciated as to her disease resistance, as well as any other information. Nor'East has roses listed in many categories, but not one for disease resistance. Wish they did, as that's very important to me, as I won't spray. Thanks muchly...

Comments (26)

• lesdvs9
    14 years ago

Sorry I'm not anywhere near your zone, but this is a great rose. It looks like doves in flight on the bush. I don't spray and the only pest problem I have on it are some aphids. I have hot dry summers to 115o and winters to 20's on the average. If that helps at all. Hope someone in your area can help you out with an answer. Nor'East is closing soon to retail orders.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    14 years ago

If you have Japanese beetles, GS will be one of their favorite targets & since she is a single, it doesn't take them long to eat/damage all the blossoms. Also she is a much bigger shrub than most mini's.

• soonerd2000
    14 years ago

a beautiful single rose that looks lovely in the garden i dont seem to have much problem. after 21 days of rain she hasn't black spotted like some of my other roses

• petsitterbarb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you muchly for the responses. I have 3 Grace Seward plants on order from Nor'East, along with some others. Might as well take advantage of the half price sale! I'm excited about this rose, and hope that it does well here.

• lesdvs9
    14 years ago

I wasn't aware that in other places Grace would get as large as she does here. She gets well over 4' tall and almost 4' wide, just FYI to keep in mind when you plant.
    She is very beautiful, never been sorry I bought her.

• petsitterbarb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My Nor'East order has been delayed until after June 22nd. I have all my fingers and toes crossed that I'll be getting most of my order. I'm very appreciative to know that she can get as large as you are stating, and will keep that in mind when I'm planting them. I'm "on the line" between zone 6 and 7, by the way. Any idea how she'd do with "bright shade", on the east side of my house, under a bald cypress tree? I have some galvanized washtubs there, waiting for me to decide what to plant in them!

• maele
    14 years ago

Do any of you grow Grace Seward in direct all day sun? I too am waitng for her from nor'east and I am most excited for this one out of the whole order.

• petsitterbarb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Maele...glad to see you are excited about Grace, too. She tops my list, as well. My roses should be here this next week, and I've got to decide where I'm putting them. ANY information regarding shade tolerance would be appreciated. I'm running out of sun here, after ten years of planting trees, etc.

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

I received my order from Nor'east last week and Grace Seward was one of the ones I ordered and received. I saw a picture of this rose on the cover of the ARS magizine and had to have it.

I am always pushing the shade tolerants on roses and this one will be not exception. I will report on my finding as the year progresses.

Liz

• petsitterbarb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Liz...
    I'll have to watch for your results, as well as add mine.
    From what I read somewhere, she's pretty good with shade tolerance, but I have to admit that the spot I was looking at for these is getting less sun than I realized. Gee...maybe the cypress tree has grown! I may end up with ferns where I planned to plant these little Gracies!

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

petsitterbarb

From what I have heard, single petaled roses can take more shade than others. So Grace Seward being shade tolerant, could be true. It will be interesting to find out especially since we are in different areas of the country.

Liz

• maele
    14 years ago

I'm always testing for just the opposite, sun tolerance. And often I am disappointed. It is looking like all the left side of the yard will have roses and none of the right, except in a hidden spot shaded by a wall. I have to say that full day sun recommendation for roses is baloney. However, I guess it makes sense that singles would benefit from some shade.

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

Maele

And looking at your zone and where you live, I would suspect that the sun especially in the heat of the day.

Thank is why I also think the area you live in makes a difference as well. For example, a rose with blooms that do not shatter in the heat of the day in the northeast may totally fall apart in the southwest. That is one reason when people who post on the form about how a rose performs, I always look at what zone and part of the country they are in.

• maele
    14 years ago

It most definitely is very important to take into account the poster's zone, for example I like to see what does well in Arizona. I know they are hot and dry, which is totally different from hot and humid, or foggy sun. I hesitate to recommend roses to people in colder zones since I have no idea about hardiness, and I wonder if some roses that do well with winter chill would bloom less for me. Especially the noisettes or other "old" ones. I have got to find some good books on this.

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

I just wish more people would not only post their zone but where they live. Old books and what they recommed is a great idea because I think thoses roses were grown with out chemicals. We have a few people in my area that grow rose totally no-spray and that has really helped me.

• roseblush1
    14 years ago

I have grown Grace Seward in two very different climates and she has been a winner in both. When I was growing the rose in a large container in SOCAL, I found that it did tolerate shade, but I got a LOT more blooms when I placed the rose in the sun. In my current garden in NOCAL, where we get triple digit temps for weeks on end, the rose keeps on keeping on in full sun.

I don't do any winter protection for my roses and GS survives just fine when night temps dip into the low teens. However, the plant doesn't get as large in this climate as it did down south.

Grace Seward has always been one of my favorite roses.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• petsitterbarb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The problem with Oklahoma weather is that it varies SOOO much. We get extreme heat, it can also get to zero in the winter sometimes! Some days are humid, some dry and windy.
    Most of the state also has clay soil...no big help w/ most plants! We have some raised beds we've built, and they are high enough to comfortably sit on the edge. We love 'em! Our lot also has a drainage problem in one area. I just redid that bed area, and now have ferns there, and it's topped off w/ partial weed mat covered w/ some nice gravel with antique planted washtubs on top. MUCH better than before!

• lesdvs9
    14 years ago

I've been sick and off GW sorry, I grow Grace in full sun. She loves it. All my Dee Bennett roses are growing in full sun conditions and I get to 117 in the summer.
    She does beautifully, hot or cool conditions.
    Les

• petsitterbarb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good to know! I have three Grace Sewards ordered. If all three arrive, I'll try different locations and experiment abit. Hope they arrive SOON!
    Thanks to all for your input...

• drasaid
    14 years ago

I missed the sale. Pooh. So I can't get Grace any other way.
    Anybody want Simon Robinson and Softee cuttings for Grace?

• drasaid
    14 years ago

Here you go
    http://www.twosistersroses.com/miniatures.html
    Now I just have to find if they are worth ordering from . . . .

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

drasaid

I have not ordered from Two Sisters Roses, however I have heard from people who have ordered from them and they have been pleased. I would say it is worth a shot.

Liz

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    2 years ago

has anyone found a source for Grace Seward recently? I've been after it for a bit now!

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    2 years ago

Thanks--it did!! She has them in stock and one is en route!!

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    2 years ago

Anyone who likes GS I'd encourage to check out Little White Lies--similar shape but the petals have cute little points like typed out brackets: }