Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie w/Rainbow's End!

Posted by jules7ky z6KY (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 05 at 18:40

Hello, everyone! Today, I was just given a "Rainbow's End" rose, and a little surfing tells me it's a miniature. I've never really been a rose person, but I think I'm in love with this critter. No two blooms are the same color, and it even has a light fragrance (even tho the sites I've found say it shouldn't!)

I tried searching the GardenWeb for postings on this one, but the search engine seems to be down.

Any hints on habits or care for this particular cutie? Any specific disease/pest problems? I'd love to use the flowers in a bath-herb blend, so I'd rather not spray if I don't have to.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie w/Rainbow's End!

It is not disease resistant, and will get blackspot.

o

You are going to really enjoy this rose, but I'm afraid Diane is right.
In order to get the most out of this rose you may have to spray. I find that the effort to keep this clean is well rewarded.
Helmut

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainbow's End

o

• Posted by Maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sat, May 28, 05 at 22:11

One of my favorite roses. Excellent container rose with a nice rounded decorative bush shape. Blooms exceptionally well in the spring and fall. In my garden it has the good sense not to bloom as much in the middle of summer when I would have to go out in the inferno to deadhead. Suites me just fine. Only in the movies does one see faultless rose petals scattered around. In real life most roses need to be sprayed if you are in an area with a long growing season (such as Kentucky). I do spray, but must say that my Rainbow's End (placed in an area with excellent wind circulation and far removed from other blackspotters) does not seem particularly prone to B.S. if I happen to miss spraying it occasionally.

o

I love the flowers of this rose. I even won my only Mini Queen with it several years ago. Unfortunately I could not control blackspot :-( so I replaced it with Hot Tamale and that rose is doing much better (I spray with fungicides too).

o

• Posted by Maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Tue, May 31, 05 at 22:16

Now that just goes to show you. I had Hot Tamale and Rainbow's End side by side in containers. Their colors are fairly similar. Hot Tamale was one of the first to blackspot for me, while Rainbow's End remained her usual clean self. Both received equal spray treatments, water, etc. In my case I said goodbye to Hot Tamale and kept Rainbow's End. Maybe we have different strains of B.S. or maybe that's just life in the rose world.

o

I have both Rainbows end and cl. Rainbows end I find the climber has less blackspot! I do spray but got a bit sloppy last year. I haven't started spraying yet this year and the reg. R. E. is getting spotty ,while the climber looks fine!
Lee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here