Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning, mini rose ID

Posted by sonshine_TN 6TN (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 05 at 19:19

I'm not much of a gardener, but since I need to grow the flowers I press for my artwork, I am trying.
Miniature roses never grew well for me in NY state, nor did many survive the winters there, but since I moved to Tennessee over a year ago, I am finding that plants really grow, inspite of the hard clay soil. A year ago I bought a few miniature rose plants at the grocery store (!). They were not correctly identified, but have amazed me with their growth and blooms. They are so large that I know they need pruning, but have no idea of when or how much to prune. I am hoping that this is not the time of the year to do this, since I don't want to lose all the beautiful flowers. Each plant has about 20 flowers opening every day! One that had a tag on it "lavender" is rose/pink/white striped, and I am attaching a photo, in the hope that someone can identify it. It is a gorgeous rose!
I also went to the Propagating forum and was surprise to read that I should be able to get more plants from these.
I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning, mini rose ID

Pruning should have been done back in early April when the forsythia was in bloom. Next spring, you can take off 1/3 to 1/2 of the plant. For now, just take out any stems that look dead. Remove any old blooms, you can either just snap them off with your fingers or clip them off. As for the variety name, since it's from a grocery store it could be from a couple of different places, I'll take a look around. Over at the Propagation forum, look at the FAQ page, that will give you information on taking and rooting cuttings from your plant.

o
RE: pruning, mini rose ID

Just wait until next year! Most minis don't really start to show their
good growth until second year. Yes, wait to prune until next
yearm before buds start forming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here