Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jo_in_tx_gw

Need very disease resistant minis for pregnant daughter!

jo_in_tx
17 years ago

Hi!

Thanks to those who answered my question about where to order. I've already placed an order at Nor'East. (How does John's compare in quality to Nor'East?)

I now need the names of mini roses with exceptional disease resistance. My daughter can't want to start a rose garden, but will have to do with mini in pots while she and her husband are stationed in Minot, ND with the AF. And she's pregnant, so she really wants to avoid as many chemicals as possible.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Jo

Comments (7)

• msrose
    17 years ago

Jo,

I was coming here to post the same question. My minis seem to be more prone to disease than my big roses for some reason. The one mini that does great for me is Debut. I actually found it at Home Depot a couple of years ago. I know I've seen it available by mail order before but I can't seem to find anyone that carries it now. I still thought I'd let you know just in case you come across it somewhere.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Debut

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Here is a thread with some info disease resistance. You might also consider some of the smaller polyanthas.

• jo_in_tx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks. I have some minis in my yard right now, and know that they need to be sprayed. I douse mine along with the hybrids and floribundas. We're just hoping she can spray as little as possible. Actually, she's going to have her husband spray, until he's deployed.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    17 years ago

Since the roses are in pots--maybe you can avoid spraying by keeping them out of the rain and making sure the leaves aren't wet for hours after you water. Black spot is a problem in New England--it is likely when the leaves are wet for 6 hours or more and the temperatures are in the 70s or 80s.

• hemnancy
    17 years ago

I bought over 100 different mini's when a nursery went out of business, and had them on my deck in pots. I watered them daily with fish emulsion fertilizer and had very little disease on any of them. Just my observation. I don't understand the spraying thing. I value my health more than whether my roses have a few spots on the leaves and don't spray any roses ever. I think I have read somewhere that spraying a dilute milk solution on roses helps BS, too.

• mike_in_new_orleans
    17 years ago

I don't know what colors and looks you prefer, but my wife gave me a mini shrub rose for Valentine's Day called "Baby Love," It's buttercup yellow with single blooms (5 petals). Not the hybrid tea form I usually go for. But the name is certainly appropriate for the occasion; and here's the kicker. It's wonderously disease resistant. I live in Blackspot hell and spray all my roses except my couple of old china roses and this one. So far this year, not a hint of disease anywhere. Just water it and feed it occasionally. A couple others that will get blackspot but are much more resistant than most are Linville(white with a hint of pink blush in the center) and Winsome (a deep mauve-magenta with exquisite hybrid tea form. Linville has pretty good form too, and both are slightly fragrant (to me that means I can't smell them outdoors in the heat or with any breeze, but in my air-conditioned office I notice a light but pleasant scent).

• Vic007
    17 years ago

I agree with Mike on Baby Love. I've have it 3 years now, and it is my only rose out of about 150 that has never been affected by blackspot. The only other mini I've grown that might work in a no-spray garden is Minnie Pearl. My experience during no-spray years has been up to half of Minnie Pearl's leaves spotting while other minis have completely defoliated.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?