Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
effierose_gw

Tough as Nails Minis for South

effierose
16 years ago

I've recently come back to gardening after being unable to for several years, because of health problems. I really used to enjoy growing minis, and I would love to grow them again. I have a long list of roses I'm considering ordering. I can't begin to afford all of them, so I thought I would ask the nice people here to help me narrow things down. I'm in North Florida, I'll be growing them in containers and most importantly I won't be spraying. All of my possibles have been described either by Nor'East's catalog, or Help me Find, or both, as disease resistant, which is my biggest concern. Fragrance is also a major plus.

My list includes: Absolutely, Amy Grant, Best Friends, Caliente, Ernie, Harm Saville, Hilde, Ingrid, Innocence, Old Fashioned Girl, Pam Tillis, Picotee, Rosy Dawn, Sachet, Salute, Sleeping Beauty, Something for Judy, Sweet Arlene, Sweet Revenge, Ultimate Pleasure, and Yantai.

If you have any experience(whether good or bad), growing any of these in the Deep South, I would very much appreciate your input. I know this question gets asked a lot, but disease resistance is very different in different parts of the country, and my eyes are starting to cross trying to read old posts!

Comments (6)

• mike_in_new_orleans
    16 years ago

Oh, a fun question! I can't help you with the no-spray part of your question, because I've never gone a whole season without spraying. But I WAS gone for 6 weeks from the end of August 2005 into early October when we were forced to evacuate New Orleans for Hurricane Katrina. None of my roses got any disease. However, they did dry out and many lost their leaves. They re-grew again with regular watering after a few weeks.

What I can recommend are minis that have stood up to Southern heat well. Some roses stay healthy in this climate yet suffer smaller and less shapely blooms during the "dog-days." Minnie Pearl and Starina are good examples. I called these my winter roses, because they were always gorgeous in November and December and in the first spring flush. But great summer roses for the Deep South for me include:
    Hot Tamale
    Salute
    Miss Flippins
    Merlot
    Sweet Arlene (so far, this is my first year with it, but it's very promising)
    Caliente (ditto as with S.A. above)
    Absolutely
    Linville
    & Bees Knees!!!

• effierose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Mike! I've been lurking for a little while now, and I always read your posts with great interest. I figure our growing conditions are probably awfully similar.

Hot Tamale is on my short list of absolute favorites I will definitely replace. Also, Autumn Splendor, Mother's Love, X-Rated, and Hanky Panky. (A couple of these I fell in love years ago when I sprayed. They may end up being expensive annuals, but I can't help it-I love 'em!) I thought I was getting too long winded so I didn't mention them.

If I'm going to pay the shipping I'd like to order a few that are new to me at the same time. Any excuse to buy more roses!

I'd love to hear from some more people!

• mike_in_new_orleans
    16 years ago

I forgot about Autumn Splendor! Great rose. But you know that. So is Winsome. Never a hint of disease, even when I've forgotten to spray. Blooms are in distinct cycles but blooms a lot when it does. That color is intense, Magenta, not to everyone's liking. lol

• ken_se_fl
    16 years ago

OK we're talking about one of my favorite subjects. Minis and mini-floras. I've been growing them since 1989. I have my favorites and NOT so favorites. My #1 concern when I'm buying minis is, the flower must appeal to me regardless of color. I also buy from several different vendors. Nor'east, Almost Heaven, Cool Roses and Bridges Mini Roses are my main vendors. The roses you have listed are all good roses. You also might want to consider; Nancy Jean, Bee's Knees, Pierrine, Sweet Melody(a white sport of Pierrine), Olympic Gold, Chattooga, Sorp. International, Kristin. Also a few mini-floras; Tiffany Lynn, Leading Lady, Butter Cream, Robin Alonzo, Regina Lee and Shanedoah. I tried Ricky Hendriks this past year. It stayed covered with powdery mildew. It's gone and will be replaced with another Shanedoah. This is one of the finest new mini-floras to come out this year. Deep blood red blooms on a tall full bush with dark green foliage from top to bottom. Repeats very quickly. This is the sleeper of the year. By the way, all my minis are in 7 & 10 gal. pots so I know they grow well in pots.

• mike_in_new_orleans
    16 years ago

Ken, I'll have you pick your brain some more. I live in similar climate and only started growing minis and mini-floras at the end of the '90s after decades of "big" roses. All my roses are also in pots, 15 to 20 inch diameter. I had left out Pierrine, also a great performer in the South, and Butter Cream that was off to a terrific start until someone stole the whole pot from me a few weeks ago. First time I've ever had a rose bush stolen. Really ticked me off. Now I've drilled holes and cabled all the pots together with plastic-coated steal cable. That should at least discourage the casual opportunistic thieves. I'll have to look up Shanedoah (or is it Shennendoah or Shanendoah?)

• pete41
    16 years ago

I love ButterCream,pulled Olympic Gold as it wasn't but my favorite of all roses is Conundrum.If you live in Northeast Fl.thats a must have.At times it can make even the most jaded types ``Ohhh'' and ``ahhhhh''.
    In ground it can get big.