Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trimming overgrown mini hedge

Posted by Vonniegirl Mi zone5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 05 at 23:58

I just bought a new house and to my wonder and delight I discovered that there is a hedge(5 or 6 bushes) of red mini roses along one fence(neighbor told me that they were red) the problem is the lower 1/3 or more of the plants are dead. The tops are greening up fine , just looks like they have not been trimed for several years. I know to trim the dead wood out but can the bushes be cut back and how far is safe to revitalize them? Sure don't want to kill them. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trimming overgrown mini hedge

I'm definitely not an expert, but I bet you could take a hedge trimmer to them and whack them back to whatever dimension you wanted without too much harm. Roses are pretty tough; the minis do not seem to be an exception. Again, I offer the caveat that I do not have the mini experience that most here have. I've read studies of pruning "regular" roses using varying methods and in some cases, the "chain saw" method produced the most roses. Go figure. My landlord used to take a pair of electric hedge trimmers and just butcher the hedge in front of my apartment. It always drove me crazy (looked so ugly for a while) but they roses always bounced back thick as ever.

o
If you panic, use a Rose Stick sealant

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&cat=2,42706,40719&p=10250
Now, the site says they don't have it now, but it might be the kind of thing you can ask for at a good nursery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here