Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Cloning my mini?

tracydr
12 years ago

I have a Victory rose, actually I gave it to my husband for Valentine's and we planted it in a difficult area in our garden where most things die from too much heat. It's doing fantastic, blooming and growing despite 100 plus temps! I'd like like to clone it as this area could use about six more plants. What's the best method?

Comments (7)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

You could try and root cuttings. I don't have much luck at it but other people seem to.

• taylor12
    12 years ago

The fastest and easiest will be to use migration assistant, but to do it by directly connecting the two computers with an ethernet cable, or Firewire, if you have an appropriate cable, which I don't think that style of Macbook does. That gets you away from all the bottlenecks of USB, slow routers, etc. Migration Assistant walks you through how to do this- it is super-easy.

• hartwood
    12 years ago

I explain rose rooting in a photo tutorial on my web site. This method works really well, and it doesn't require complicated equipment. The hardest part of the process for me is to leave the roses alone once the cuttings are planted ... I usually want to mess with them. The link is below.
    Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: Click on How To

• Naturalchick27
    12 years ago

Connie your rooting instructions seem very easy. One question: When do you transfer the rooted cutting to a larger pot? Also when is the best time to start this process if you live in zone 6?

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Natural, I would do it right after your first flush in the spring. From everything I've read the cuttings from a freshly bloomed cane work best and with our short season early would be best to get enough root growth before winter. When I've tried this (and I've only had it work like 6 or 7 times of the dozens of times I've tried it myself) when I deadhead my June flush I cut very long, like 12 to 18 inches, instead of just taking the spent blooms off. Then I cut off the spent bloom and used the rest of the cane to try and root. I use clear plastic cups so I can see when they get roots on them. It took at least 3 or 4 weeks to see any roots but by September I planted them up into pots and by Thanksgiving when I put them to bed for winter they were pretty good size already and did fine over the winter. I do have to say that I've been doing better with this of late. I got 3 to root this year! My two different Aunt's ancient roses both rooted and my beloved Pinocchio!

• hartwood
    12 years ago

What Seil said is what I recommend. The best cuttings are a piece of stem with 6 or so leaf buds on it, with a dead flower on the end, from a well hydrated bush in good health.

Once there are good roots showing along the side of the milk jug, you can begin to harden your cuttings to the outdoor conditions by removing the cap on the soda bottle. After a week or so of this, if the cutting is still doing well, remove the top and keep the cutting in a protected place. Gradually move the cutting in its milk jug to expose it to more and more sunshine. Before you know it, you have a real rose plant!

The beauty of the milk jug is that your cutting is already in a half-gallon pot, and it can grow in there until you see that a really good root ball has formed.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Wow, I just scrape the sides of the cane, dip them in rooting hormone and stick them in a plastic cup of good potting soil and leave them outside in the sun with my seedlings. Of course, like I said, I don't have a terrific track record on them taking, lol! But the ones that I've had root are strong and healthy right from the get go and don't need to be hardened off. I kind of like that because I know their going to go through a tough first winter.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?