Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roses in a 'filled' yard

Posted by bubbledragon 15642 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 07 at 9:54

Ok. I tried roses last year, but I was in an apartment and kept them in pots outdoors. That worked well until the heat of August came and fried them all - I just couldn't keep up with the watering. I learned that lesson.

Since then, I've gotten a little smarter about soils and watering, and I think I'm up for the challenge.

So... I got married and moved and now we own a house in suburbia. I'd like to actually have a rose garden in the ground, but I'm not sure it's possible. You see, we just put in a fence, and in digging the 2' holes for the posts, we brought up bricks and stones, and enough clay to supply an art class for about 5 years.

The "fill" starts about 6 inches down, maybe less, there really isn't a whole lot of "top soil" in our yard. Is it even possible to amend something like this, without the clay around it just making a little soup pot to hold water against the roots? Is it possible? I don't mind digging big holes, but I just want to know if it'll do any good.

What would I do? I've been growing african violets, so I use peat/perlite/vermiculite in that soil. I don't think the same thing applies to roses.

Thanks for any help you can offer. :o)
Sara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roses in a 'filled' yard

The best solution is to build a raised bed and fill it with good soil.I have made 2 raised beds for roses and they do great in them.I also have about 80 planted in the ground and my soil is clay too. I just mix alot of other stuff with it,like cow manure,and organic compost I buy at wal mart.They do great in it. Good luck.

Jean

o
RE: Roses in a 'filled' yard

The area around my back patio is all roadbase. It's just clay and gravel, about 8" of it, and below that is slow-draining red clay. I amend the planting holes as best I can, add lots of organic stuff to it on an ongoing basis, and plant in it. The plants do quite well. If you have rocks and brick in your soil, you probably have OK drainage. If you have some clay, your soil will retain moisture. Raised beds are a great solution, but if your budget won't accomodate them, they may not be necessary.

In many areas of my garden there is no top soil per se. Just hard red clay. After a couple years of amending, a nice rich topsoil forms. Feeding the soil and keeping things watered works wonders.

Cheers,
Michelle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here