Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini roses leaves wilting

Posted by kecias 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 08 at 11:40

Hello All -

Now that the weather is warming up I'm looking forward to my 5 potted minis blooming ... or so I thought.

For some reason the new leaves are wilting and falling off. When they first start growing they look fine - then on some the edges turn brown and they wilt and fall off.

I have five minis in pots and two larger plants in pots also. They all did get black mildew which I took care of by spraying with Neem oil.

The leaves look great when coming in, nice and green - then some of them are just wilting. One mini is down to just canes now. I did remove it from direct sun and isolated it incase this is a disease. The other plants were not showing the signs as bad as this one.

They all get plenty of sun and I control how much water they get since they are potted and it has been raining a lot here in central North Carolina.

The only thing I have been doing for them is the Neem oil for black mildew (or black spot if that is the same) and just plain ole water when the top couple inches of soil feels dry.

Any suggestions? Let me know if you need any more information and I will try to get a picture posted if that will help.

Thanks!
Kecia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini roses leaves wilting

Do your pots get any drainage? It sounds like moisture problems. If it was blackspot the leaves would be covered with spots, then turn yellow and drop. Neem oil will not stop blackspot once you have it.
If your area is hot, your roses could be drying out. I have to water twice a day just to keep the soil moist. If the soil drys out the soil will pull away from the sides. So when you water it will just roll off the rootball and drain out with out wetting the soil good.

o

Hello Dan -

I'm not seeing any more black spots on the leaves - leaves coming in are nice and green. I have (had) five minis - three of them pretty small and these are the ones aren't doing so well.

I noticed today that the canes are turning dark brown so I have no idea what is going on. I have removed those from the rest of the plants - all others are looking pretty good and they have buds and blooms on them.

I check the soil every day - I watered them yesterday so the soil is still damp. I water until it runs out the bottom.

I did post pictures so maybe that will help in diagnosing the problem.

Thanks for your reply!

Kecia

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of roses

o

Hi

I got one mini back on Easter and have had the same problem. If drainage is not the problem, than you are watering them too much. Mine also was down to the bare stems. I went through the same problem. U don't think you are watering them too much but you are. This is what I had to do. Mind you mine were in the house and the temperature was cooler. Let it dry out and don't water it for about 5 days. Then only water it once or twice a week. Bottom water. I have now planted mine in the garden outside. Leaves are coming back from the stem. It looks much much better.

Good luck.

Linda

o

The brown ends in the picture is die back. You need to prune down to a set of leaves. Cause where the leaf attaches to the stem is where the new growth will come from.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here