Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Mini Roses

Posted by brian6464 4a (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 12:44

I have a very unruly Rose bush next to my house that I would like to prune back since I am getting my house painted this week.

This bush is at least 10 years old and it over 6 feet tall with 95% of the new growth at the top, which makes it very top heavy when blooming. It is basically falling over into the yard with the weight of the blooms.

If I prune it down about 50%, will this kill it??

I'll post pic once I get home.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Mini Roses

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 14:58

Have you done any pruning on this rose before? Do you know what type of rose it is? Pictures would definitely help.

o

I have only pruned out old dead shoots. Sorry for the pic quality. My wife sent it to me as too small of a pic and the resizing makes it blurry but you get the point. It is between 5 and 7 feet tall depending and the shoot/branch and obviously very top heavy. I currently leans several feet out into the yard and has been run into several times (ouch!).

If I prune this back to 3 to 4 feet and only the strongest shoots, will it generate new buds below my prune line?

Seems that almost all new growth is currently in the 4 to 6 foot range. There is no new growth for the first couple of feet.

What do I do with this bush? Thanks.

o

Cut everything down to hip high. It'll come back with a lot of new growth and blooms and should fill out to make a nice shrub that has foliage from top to bottom. Give it a LITTLE (hand full scattered around the bush) fertilizer, water it in and watch what happens.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 15:15

It could be a climber and those naturally tend to have that growth pattern. They drop their bottom leaves in order to send food to the top where the blooms are. The other reason it it could be growing so tall and lanky is because it's trying to get light. Roses need 6 to 8 hours of sunlight a day to grow and bloom properly. You can try and prune it back but it may not grow anything new from those bare canes. It's hard to say. Severely pruning it like that could kill it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here