Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini-flora Roses

Posted by dsd2682 10 Florida (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 13:20

Hi all,
I've recently been curious about Miniflora roses. Mostly because I've run out of room for full sized roses and i have never had good luck with miniatures. (They ALWAYS die on me no matter what i do, I'm stumped). Which miniflora roses have you grown and which ones have the best blackspot resistance? I currently own Smart&Sassy but she's starting to spot badly. I'd be open to larger mini roses as well as long as they are BS resistant (as that seems to be what kills my minis most of the time).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini-flora Roses

I have grown quite a few (Conundrum, Dr. John Dickman, Olympic Gold). None are resistant in my garden. I treat minis, minifloras,and hybrid teas the same.

Have you tried polyanthas? They might have better resistance, and are usually smaller (although some can become large).

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 11:40

Most minis are grown own root and Florida has those dang nematodes in the soil. That's probably what's killing yours, not the black spot. Black spot is rarely, if ever, lethal. Try finding some that have been grafted on to Fortuniana root stock. It's supposed to do better with the nematods and will make for BIG healthy plants. I think K&M or Cool Roses has some.

o

Good call by seil!

o

Give Cool Roses in Palm Beach a call (or e-mail). They carry a good selection of minifloras and can tell you about how desease resistant they would be for you.

o

OOOH! Ken, I'm going up to cool roses in a couple of weeks (they are having their yearly open house and rose sale) I'll be sure to ask about minifloras then!
Thanks so much.
D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here