Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arcendis

Should I re-located my mini rose?

Arcendis
11 years ago

I moved into a new house last spring. With it, came a miniature rose bush planted in the backyard in the shade. This spot gets at most 2-3 hours of sunlight per day. Last summer, it bloomed some pretty pink flowers--2 or 3 blooms at most. I admit that I didn't water or feed it last year. (the picture below is from last summer)

This year, I've really become interested in caring for them. I have been watering and even fed it a few times. The first bud of the season was either eaten right off the bush (it was only 5 in. off the ground) and it seemed like it just wasn't going to bloom again. It now has 5 buds. The most advanced bud looks like it has been eaten(?) through.

I'm wondering if I should relocate this bush to a more sunny location.

Comments (10)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I would move it and the sooner the better. It needs to have enough time to get re-established before winter sets in. Roses prefer 6 hours of sunlight at the least and 8 is even better. It will grow and bloom much better for you if it gets enough sun. Give it adequate space though because mini plants can get as large as a regular rose. Only the size of the bloom and leaves is miniature, not the plant size.

To move it dig and prepare your new hole first. Then dig out the rose keeping as much of the root ball intact as possible. You can put it in a pot or on a tarp to move it. Place it in the new hole and back fill around it, gently tamping the soil down as you go to get out air pockets. Water it very deeply right away and then keep it damp but not soggy wet for at least the first week or so. Once you begin to see new growth on it you can feed it and go on a regular watering schedule. You may get some transplant shock (wilt) in the beginning but that should go away within a day or two if you haven't done too much damage to the root ball.

• ditas
    11 years ago

This is for you seil ~ I just recently relocated a 6y/o *Yellow Fluff* I've had underplanted between 2 KOs ~ alas the little girl got hidden so badly since I missed pruning in time. Now the 2 KOs had really turn to Amazon ladies ~ had no choice but take Li'l Y Fluff to a better place.

I was a bit late learning about precautions when digging up established mini roses. Her reaction to the move showed up after several days yet. I cleaned up all the yellowed foliage & trimed the stems, sacrificing existing buds. I wonder if I should prune a bit harder to get her out of the slump or give her an umbrella for the hottest hours. It's now been 8 days since the move ~ she seems better than a few days ago but we're going thru heat wave!

Appreciate your expertise ~ TIA

• ditas
    11 years ago

This is for you seil ~ I just recently relocated a 6y/o *Yellow Fluff* I've had underplanted between 2 KOs ~ alas the little girl got hidden so badly since I missed pruning in time. Now the 2 KOs had really turn to Amazon ladies ~ had no choice but take Li'l Y Fluff to a better place.

I was a bit late learning about precautions when digging up established mini roses. Her reaction to the move showed up after several days yet. I cleaned up all the yellowed foliage & trimed the stems, sacrificing existing buds. I wonder if I should prune a bit harder to get her out of the slump or give her an umbrella for the hottest hours. It's now been 8 days since the move ~ she seems better than a few days ago but we're going thru heat wave!

• ditas
    11 years ago

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I wouldn't prune more. It needs those leaves to produce food. Providing a little shade for the hottest part of the day is a good idea and keep it well watered in this heat. don't be afraid to water the leaves either. It will cool it off and the leaves can take in added moisture if the roots are still recovering.

• ditas
    11 years ago

Thank you seil ~ will do & update after she picks back up!!!

• ditas
    11 years ago

Seil ~ Little Lemon(yellow) Fluff has bounced out of the relocating-shock & not to speak of the ~heat~wave~ that ensued! Not a great surge of new stems of foliage but those li'l babies are definitely coming!

I have just a few mini roses (managed to kill 2 in relocating in 2011) have 2 more that I consistently have to treat black spots & do not seem to enjoy where they are ~ am thinking to move them each in a pot or together in a large tub (an antique copper firewood bin) ~ what would you do?

Appretiate your thoughts! TIA

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

If it's big enough and deep enough but you have to consider that once they've grown together, if you decide to separate them you risk losing them both. I think they'd do better each in their own pot. And don't get too small a pot because mini plants can get 3 x 3 feet easily.

• ditas
    11 years ago

Thank you again seil ~ going over what I recently found out about relocating roses ~ I now figured what may have happened to the 2, I recently lost (they were both at least 8 years in the site they were getting crowded & overshadowed. Dug up (2011) & relocated to the lg planter (converted copper-wd-bin) survived the mild past winter, eventually fizzled out & just dried up soon after they showed signs of life this Spring.

Now I have 2 more to relocate (hate to lose) w/ lessons learned & fingers crossed ~ will succeed as w/ *Lemon Fluff*.

I didn't think Mini Rs do grow to the 3x3 size ~ have *2 Green Ice & a Mini MeiHulo* that have grown so, but kept their mini bloom-size. I have much to learn still ~ thanks to experienced Rose collectors in this Forum!!!

• ditas
    11 years ago

Thank you again seil ~ going over what I recently found out about relocating roses ~ I now figured what may have happened to the 2, I recently lost (they were both at least 8 years in the site they were getting crowded & overshadowed. Dug up (2011) & relocated to the lg planter (converted copper-wd-bin) survived the mild past winter, eventually fizzled out & just dried up soon after they showed signs of life this Spring.

Now I have 2 more to relocate (hate to lose) w/ lessons learned & fingers crossed ~ will succeed as w/ *Lemon Fluff*.

I didn't think Mini Rs do grow to the 3x3 size ~ have *2 Green Ice & a Mini MeiHulo* that have grown so, but kept their mini bloom-size. I have much to learn still ~ thanks to experienced Rose collectors in this Forum!!!

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator