Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minflick

Some thriving, some not - why??

minflick
11 years ago

I got inspired by the thread on rescuing market mini-roses. I've seen them there for years, loved them a lot, given them as gifts, gotten them but never saved them. Went on a mission and bought 4 of them. Split them 'per directions', potted them up and put them on the back deck. Decided the back deck had a little too much shade for optimum rose growth, and put two of them out front on the front deck, which gets much more sunlight and heat than the back deck. I'd guess the front gets 6 hours or so of sun, where the back deck gets a spotty 4, possibly 6 hours daily.

So.... The 2 left out back look much happier than the 2 up front. The bloom color isn't as deep a peach as it started out, but the blooms are good and it keeps budding and blooming, and generally looks happy a a clam. One up front is turning yellow and losing all its leaves, the other one isn't quite as yellow, but it's not happy, and the blooms all crisped. Soil in all 4 pots is about the same general dampness, and I check before watering, soak the pots, and wait for next time.

Are the pots out front just getting too hot in this early stage of adjusting to being split apart and repotted? Do I ride it out and hope for the best, or take them back to the back deck where they'll get less sun, but possibly actually do better overall?

I know the front deck gets good and hot, I've had many plants burn up in this past year (we moved in last July), but I thought the roses could tolerate the heat, and would do better in the longer sun.....

Comments (5)

• minflick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fairly aggravated after trying to either get the pictures uploaded into the body of the post, or getting the link up there to connect to....

Here is a link that might be useful: My mini roses

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

If you've been having this heat wave they're probably suffering from that. Often times when there is high heat the blooms will be smaller in size and paler in color. And even if it cools off some any buds forming now will still be affected by the heat. If possible provide some shade for them during the hottest part of the day and keep them well watered. But be careful. Yellowing leaves is a sign of both UNDER and OVER watering. I also cut back on fertilizing when it's roasting hot like this. They're tired too and don't really want to be putting out a ton of new growth in this heat either.

• minflick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Think I may have erred on the soggy side of things. It hasn't been that screamingly hot here, high 80's to low 90's. Possibly still too hot for newly 'torn asunder' plants, though. Of course, I don't have a thermometer out on the front deck, so who knows how horribly hot it's been out there during the heat of the afternoon.

Thanks!

• minflick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update on the 4 pots full I bought and replanted in early June. Every pot but 1 had 4 plants in it, and 1 plant died a few weeks ago, but all the rest have put on growth and have buds that will open in a while (small, not yet ready). I had 15 plants total, I now have 14, and they all have 2-3" growth on them, and about half have buds coming up. Several also have a bit of mildew, but that's probably directly related to my being too lazy to get up and water early in the day... All the nasty yellow leaves are gone and new leaves have replaced them - I started watering less frequently, and that seemed to do the trick.

The colors of the blooms do appear to have changed, and I don't know if that's a weather issue, or a sun/shade issue, or what the deal is. The mauvy-pink one has been creamy with pink where the sun hits it. The peachy apricot was a pale creamy yellow. Red hasn't bloomed yet since I repotted it, and it was one of the worst yellowed, so we'll see how it does when the blooms open up. White hasn't bloomed since repotting either, but it too has buds.

This is fun....

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Weather has a great effect on all roses performance. Even the mildew is probably more weather related than your watering habits. In very high heat a lot of roses will change color. Most will wash out but a few actually get deeper. You'll often hear people say that their rose colors are more intense in the fall when it starts to cool down.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus