Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buford_gw

Supermarket Minis?

buford
9 years ago

I'm just getting into minis. I have ordered a few, but I was just in the supermarket and saw some nice ones. Are these registered roses or no-names? I would like to show minis and use them in arrangements. Is there a way to tell what rose they are?

Comments (10)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

They are usually unregistered, many are from Poulsen Roses (Google "Poulsen Roser"). Can't be shown without the exhibition name, unfortunately. Many make good bedding plants, though.

• Seeingreen
    9 years ago

I just wanted to share this article with youI enjoy her posts

http://www.plantersplace.com/community/blog/everything-roses/throw-away-roses

• buford
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe I will buy some to 'experiment' on.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

There are some nice colors, one striped, and one nice russet (if you can find it).

I hate when they are called "throw away", I know that's kinda what the industry wants, but still...

• Seeingreen
    9 years ago

It is part of they reason they are not labeled. Most people who purchases them don't care about the variety they buy and only keep them for a little while because the plants quickly begin to die if not transplanted and cared for outside. I have a number of these minis myself and they really do thrive if they are treated like a rose and not a house plant. The reason the article is labeled throw away roses, is sadly how most customers view them Marci confronts this idea.

This post was edited by seeingreen on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 12:35

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Most of them do have names on the Poulsen or Kordana web sites but sometimes it's really hard to match them up to them unless they have some unusual characteristic. The other problem is that occasionally they will substitute one rose for another of the same general color. Or re-use the same name for two different roses. It can be maddening to try and ID them.

They are, however, regular mini roses and can be enjoyed for many years in the garden. What they are NOT is HOUSE PLANTS! Which is where people try to keep them and is why they die. I have a few that have been growing and blooming happily in my garden for years.

Isolde Hit

• balthazaru
    9 years ago

The tag on the supermarket minis i bought said ideal temp 22ðC...implied they wouldn't overwinter...is this true?

• true_blue
    9 years ago

balthazaru, I've grown and overwintered "supermarket" minis successfully. I've one from 10 years ago, which is still alive and kicking.

But the new Poulsen/ Kordana gang, have an average age of two years in my garden. Now, if I took the time and separated the rooted cuttings in the pot, and didn't plant them in my raised bed, the might survive even longer.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

If you're concerned about them wintering mulch them well for winter and they should do fine.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

I've got 5 of these in my garden and I've given away a few that were well established (2 yrs). Once you get them out of their original pots and move them into 1 gal pots, the roots will start to get established. Given a chance, these mini's get to be a good size plant. All 5 of mine are in 5 gal. pots and fill them out very nicely. My champion is Kiss Kordana. Beautiful deep red on a good size bush that is constantly in bloom. It's 5 yrs old now. I just picked up another one (deep pink) after mothers day for $4.00. Growing like a weed. I need to see if I can ID this one. Also a Kords rose.