Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Need minis that don't quill

phylrae
16 years ago

Hi everyone...

We have only 3 miniature roses....my husband loves them, but I can't stand quilling (pointy blooms w/brown stamens showing)...for instance, Fancy Pants....it quills as soon as it blooms! I deadhead it as soon as I see them turn that way.

Are there any minis out there that DON'T quill easily, that have or keep a more globular type bloom form? We grow a lot of other types of roses (hybrid teas, grandifloras, floribundas, Austins, Romanticas and shrub roses. but as I say, my husband wants more minis.

I've seen pictures of Sweet Chariot...but I know there must be more!

Thanks! :0) Phyl

Comments (8)

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Jacquie Williams:

{{gwi:496037}}
    Yantai:

Green Ice:

Always A Lady:

Lavender Crystal:
    {{gwi:496011}}
    Winter Magic:

Vi's Violet:

There are many singles too.

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

leslie, your mini's are gorgeous.Love that Lavender Crystal and Vi's Violet.I want to get some more mini's too a little later.

Jean

• bogie
    16 years ago

Strawberry Swirl.

I have serious photograph envy after seing leslie's great pics!

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Hey thanks Jean, I have about 40 minis but Phyl was specific about the edges, so I left out a lot and didn't include any singles or semi doubles.
    Bogie, thanks for the complement on the pics.

Phyl, what colors or size are you looking for that will help narrow it down with choices too. There are minis and mini floras and micro minis too.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

A quick walk around says that Conundrum, Soroptimist International and Bee's Knees do not quill.

• caffiopeia
    16 years ago

Leslie, your Green Ice looks gorgeous in that container. Mine's in a green plastic pot. :0(

• phylrae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, Lesdvs9, great photos! I'm sorry I didn't get back to this posting...I thought I had typed in for responses to come to my mailbox, and when I didn't see any responses, I assumed nobody had responded.

I absolutely LOVE your pic of Lavender Chrystal and Vi's Violet. I like vivid colors usually, or unusual ones I guess. I remember liking pics of Sweet Chariot, Vineyard Song etc. I haven't really gotten to know minis, as most I've seen in person ended up quilling, which just "bugs" me. I have the grandiflora Love. I love it until it quills, which is almost instantly! If I knew of this trait, I wouldn't have planted it and would have looked for a different red rose with white reverse!
    Thanks for your help! :0) Phyl

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Thanks for the complements Phyl. My more vivid minis are semi doubles and not the globular form or hybrid tea form you're looking for. Nor'East which is really Greenheart, has some great minis, they come in a nice size that you may plant right in the ground. Look around that one and ask some questions if you find a few you like there. You may also check HMF but sometimes the info on HMF is not accurate I have discovered.
    Leslie

Here is a link that might be useful: Nor'East

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor