Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impulse Buy

Posted by firefly2000 SoCal (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 07 at 22:57

I had a really really bad day today and when at the grocery store I bought myself a mini rose. I know nothing about them but did some poking around and found out it is not a palace rose as labeled but a parade rose - Clara. Now I read that these roses don't really do so well and I already love it. It's white with green outer petals and a button eye, and fragrant. SO, if it dies, can you recommend a replacement of any size? I found it at the link below under blooming plants, roser, then parade.

http://www.poulsenroser.com

http://www.poulsenroser.com/VisStandardSide.asp?iSideID=1390&emneid=1&menu=735

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impulse Buy

It is SO NOT TRUE that Parade roses don't do well. In fact, they can be very good plants. They just need to be cared for properly early on so that they have a good chance at survival. And they should be planted outdoors (or kept in an pot outdoors), they are not indoor plants. See the thread at the link below to get your roses started, and once they are actively growing, you can transplant them into the ground.

I'm glad that your plant had the name, some of the resellers don't include the variety name on the plants. Clara Parade looks nice. I think the closest substitute would be Green Ice.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to save a potted gift roses

o
RE: Impulse Buy

I have 7 Parade and Palace mini roses, all purchased from grocery stores and Walmart. They are the hardiest, healthiest, and most bloomy roses I own. They are on a south facing wall getting reflected Arizona heat blasted at them all day long, and they deal with it tremendously. The only issue I have had with them so far is that I planted them too close together and today I discovered a few spider mites on one of the plants, way deep in the thorny foliage. Anywhoo, none of my full size roses have even shown a bit of the gumption that these guys do, and I plan on getting many more in the future to put in the backyard. All of my mini's were impulse buys too, and I just came home with 2 more yesterday, so I have 9 now. As a side note I have only had one die, and that was one I bought at Mother's Day for my neighbor, and she underpotted and underwatered it, so it bit the dust.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here