Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizing / spraying bugs

Posted by coloradobird 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 07 at 23:06

Should minis be fertilized throughout the growing season? I have some organic rose food that I purchased and I applied some in the spring. The plants are all blooming beautifully now and I'm not sure what the rules are about fertilizing. I know with clematis, you're not supposed to fertilize while they're in bud/bloom, but not sure about roses.

Also, I sprayed them a couple of weeks ago because they had tiny white bugs on the buds (I've also seen these same bugs on my columbine buds). I suppose they must be aphids. How often should they be sprayed?

Thanks much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizing / spraying bugs

Yes, they are like other roses and need to be fertilized throughout the season. Especially after bloom cycles. I would put down another application of the organic fertilizer after most of the plants have finished blooming this go-round.

No spraying for aphids, it is unnecessary. A squirt with water or dusting with flour or just leaving alone. Too much use of insecticides can lead to a spider mite infestation, and they are much worse than the aphids.

o
RE: Fertilizing / spraying bugs

Thanks, Diane. So the aphids aren't bad for the plants? Oops. I'd rather not spray unless necessary, but I saw lots of the little white bugs on the buds and thought they needed to be taken care of. Well, live and learn.

Okay, I will fertilize them when they're done blooming this time.

Thanks a lot!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here