Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jeanne LaJoie - is it a Mini? See the picture!!!

Posted by roseperson z5 S/E MI (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 9, 06 at 0:36

The concept of Mini - is confusing at times. We tend to think Minis as - small roses on small plants; at least I think it that way.

This is my Jeanne LaJoie this past spring. It is over 20 feet wide and well over 12 feet tall. How would you space more than one of these monsters? Well, you guess!!!

And the number of blooms? Well, you guess again.

This is my carefree all time favorite climber.

-- Roseperson

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jeanne LaJoie - is it a Mini? See the picture!!!

I love this rose more and more every time I see it growing like you have it. Just gorgeous! I agree, the concept of the term "mini" really goes out the window on some of them that are classified that way. I have a Poulsen mini I bought last year that sports 4 inch blooms that last for two weeks on the bush. It started off with those perky little mini blooms at purchase time. Who knew? But because of this, I'm looking more and more at the minis for cost reasons and flexibility of planting sites. I wish more of them had scent though.
-Nan

o

Oh holy cow. I planted it on a 6' x 2' trellis. I had no idea....

o

"Mini" refers to the size of the bloom, not the size of the plant. JlJ is a climbing miniature. Other, non-climbing, minis can be up to 4' tall in my garden, with some mini-floras up to 5' tall.

o

Well that cinched it for me I have a wall that needs to be covered and that will definitely do the trick!

Angela

o

Wow,indeed. Congratulations on cultivating such a spectacular specimen. My Jeanne LaJoie - purchased three years ago - has performed beautifully this year. But it cannot compare with yours. Please let me know how you situated the plant to obtain such excellent results. Congratulations.

o

Roseperson, JLJ is just beautiful. How old is that plant? Is it winter-hardy to the tips? I am in Z5 and am pretty excited that your JLJ grows like that. I have two of them on the way to plant for my grandma and am thinking I need to leave them a B-I-G space to beautify.
Thanks!
Michelle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here