Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cajunrosegal

What is your favorite mini?

cajunrosegal
17 years ago

I have two that I rescued. They were here when I bought the house planted in the shade. I moved them and cut them back and I like them. I want to get more but unsure what kind to get. So what is your favorite mini so I can choose.

Angela

Comments (25)

• inthegarden_k
    17 years ago

well, i love Glowing Amber! i read the great reviews, but really didn't expect how wonderful the flower would be in real life! the propagator, George Mander, posts here sometimes. He has a neat website! and for scent, i love Scentsational. i am not fond of lavender roses (which scentsational is), but mine are very light in color, with a pinkish edge to the petals. and the scent is heavenly.

Here is a link that might be useful: George Mander's Roses of Excellence

• inthegarden_k
    17 years ago

not propagator (george that is)

• fizgig777 ╰⊰❀ Z7a ❀⊱╮
    17 years ago

Hilde and Rainbow's End are very nice. Hilde has very good BS resistence -- BS is a major issue in this area, too. Rainbow's End is pretty resistant as well if kept away from infected roses. Both are vigorous growers and bloom throughout the season [May-frost]. Hilde prefers at least 8hrs. of direct sun [preferably more], Rainbow's End prefers no more than 7hrs. of direct sun. Hilde has no issues with high temps., Rainbow's End needs protection from the hottest sun of the day when temps. soar past the 90 degree mark.

Raibow's End climber is particularly beautiful.

Hope that helps a bit more.

Here's Hilde:
    {{gwi:1209728}}

Here's Rainbow's End:
    {{gwi:1209729}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Nor'East Miniature Roses

• alotofplants
    17 years ago

I really like Hot Tamale. I love the bright colored mini's.

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

The red variety of Scentsation smells sinfully devine. It looks so plain in photos - but it's fabulous and beautiful.

X-Rated is a gorgeous thing to look at. Rainbows End won't fail to cheer you up. Ingrid is just lovely.

Happy Gardening,
    Michelle

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Did I spell that Devine? I meant DIVINE. Ugggggh.

• rachelsgardener
    17 years ago

This year, Something for Judy. So healthy, flowers last for two weeks, and move from ravishing in the bud to lovely in old age.

• kittymoonbeam
    17 years ago

Cupcake without question. That rose has never dissapointed me. As for a trailing mini in a pot, I would have to say sweet chariot.

• coleus
    17 years ago

My favorites are :

Spot (Meilland) fushia flowers

Snow (Meilland) white flowers

Baby Romantica (Meilland) apricot flowers

Try these beauties !

• mdseagull
    17 years ago

One of my favorites is Heartbreaker. Took two years to take off but it is a real beauty now. Another one that has done well for me is Sweet Chariot. One that I like but still looks twiggy in my garden is Magic Carousel.

• mike_in_new_orleans
    17 years ago

I'm sorry, but I can't pick just one. How about 3?

Miss Flippins, being partial to reds, I have to say this one has the great combined qualities of being a standout exhibition rose as well as a consistent trouble-free garden performer in my climate (hot and humid). Blooms all-year long in great numbers. Bright cherry red, mostly in clusters but with just enough indiviual blooms per stem to be able to cut some for vases to bring in. As a cut rose, it lasts easily over a week.

Linville, a prolific, bushy 3-foot rounded bush with 2in white blooms of very nice form. Another trouble-free rose for me, it has the added interest of blooming different colors in different seasons: white in summer, white with a hint of pink in spring and fall, and overall blush pink in November and December.

And Hot Tamale, which I've had for at least 5 years, about as prolific as the other 2 above, which is terrific, also with terrific show form in all kinds of weather. The changing yellow, orange, and pink colors remind me of the climber Joseph's Coat, but with more classic florist rose form.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Climbing Cal Poly, although it only blooms once a year, it's has beautiful clusters of yellow flowers that last a long time to make up for the single bloom time. Old favorite I'm growing again.

Tangerine Jewel for the claity of the color orange it produces, even though it's brand new and I don't know what a complete bush will look like yet, the blooms I am getting are already a new favorite.

Lavender Crystal as a repeat bloomer in a soft gray lavender color that I can cut the flowers and bring inside for my mini vases. Old favorite that I'm growing again.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Incognito, Soroptimist International, Bee's Knees and Breath of Spring. My fav mini flora is Leading Lady and I love the color of Dr. John Dickman, but it is stingy.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Out of curiosity I couldn't resist and I looked up both of your roses. Mike I especially liked Miss Flippin and I don't grow any reds and am not particular partial to them but I did like the color of this one. Very pretty. And Diane, I really like Dr. John Dickman and Incognito, the first for looking almost purple with an edging and the latter for the color changing and the center on that one. I think I've seen either your photos or photos of that one. Very pretty though, all of them. I wish this forum was more active. These are all roses I've never seen at the nursery I frequent and wander through, so it's an education to see and learn about other roses. Leslie

• mike_in_new_orleans
    17 years ago

Leslie, this forum can be quite addictive for the reasons you allude to above. Did someone say "enabling?" I find myself often toggling between the forums and nursery websites and the Helpmefind/roses.com site to compare references. Darned if I don't keep finding more roses I "have" to have.(Most recently Luscious Lucy and Nemesis from Rosemania and Double Gold, Ty, and Yantai from Nor'East). Never mind budget or space limitations. :/ Check out Nor'East, Uncommon Rose, Rosemania, Two Sisters, Almost Heaven, John's Miniature Roses, Bridges, and Sequoia, to name a few.

Miss Flippins IS very nice. The one weakness in my minis assortment is that very few, including that one, have significant fragrance. I keep looking for roses that have both fabulous show rose form AND fragrance AND prolific garden bloom. Picky me!

I'm anxious to get my Sweet Arlene I ordered, as well as see if the Caliente and Ingrid I have on order have some fragrance as reported. I've got to get Red Scentsation one of these days. Just re-read this thread today and only just noticed Michelle's comment about Red Scentsation's photos not doing justice to its beauty at all. That's the enabling I need. Now does anyone have more yard space they can lend me?

Mike

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Ok Mike, now I have to go back to HMF and do some more looking up!! I have a whole back yard to do roses in, my mini bed was just a beginning, sorry, well not sorry, I'm excited to be actively growing roses again without nary a deer in sight to eat them:) If I can conquer growing in pots for the little minis and micro minis I would grow the taller minis and mini floras in the larger bed I want to grow HT's in and shrub roses in and whatever else catches my eye as I look. So, I am taking my time because my yard is not that big and I want to grow what I really like.

I will check out some of these reds of yours if only for sentimental reasons, my mom and grandma who started me in my love for growing roses loved that color, who knows I might start a whole new color I like:) So, I'm on the hunt for a couple of reds that I like and would remind me of them past and present tense. So, I will limit to the smaller HT's already picked out and concentrate on the larger minis and smaller roses to make the most of the rest of my yard space. By spring I know I'm going back to the mini nursery in town without a doubt to try more in some pots and try some reds! So, off to HMF to look up some more of the roses you've and some others have also listed again:) I've also have a copy of Sequoia Nursery's catalog to look at. Leslie

• ken_se_fl
    17 years ago

It's tough picking one. I still like some of the older ones. Starina, Pierrine, Olympic Gold, Tiffany Lynn (now a mini-flora), Lavender Sweetheart and of the newer ones I really like Arcanum, Sorop. International, Best of 04, Chaattoga and Ty. I could go on. In my garden if I don't like a certain rose, it's gone.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

I keep discovering new ones all the time, in my rose garden out of the 25 minis I planted in Sept. only 5 are ones I've grown before.... This is the 3rd garden I've started in 20 some years, alot of the minis I've grown aren't available anymore and I probably would recognize a photo before the name my memory is so bad, or the photo with the name would trigger it:) Now Ken I'll have some new ones to look up, thanks for mentioning your favorites. Not my thread but I keep looking for new roses and mini floras will work in the larger rose bed I'm working on now. Leslie

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    17 years ago

I have won more Rose Shows with Jean Kenneally, a beautiful aprirot and a tall grower with lots of blooms. The next one is Irresistible, a white mini with great form and a good bloomer.

• melva
    17 years ago

Don't forget Swan Song a white mini. it has a form rather like a HT in the bud stage..and it has a wonderful fragrance! It is a Sean McCann rose.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    17 years ago

Hi! I only have a few mini's, but i adore my "What a Peach". Its color is gorgeous! It had a little trouble last spring with yellowing foliage, but I cut it back and it did wonderfully. Heres a picture.
    {{gwi:1209731}}

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Hate to pick a nit (but I'm a CR and a Rose Show Judge and it is a long time until June...) but What a Peach is a "Shrub", not a mini. Small blooms, yes, but also can be a very large plant (mine got to 7+' tall the first year in the ground, I had to move it). The distributor, Weeks Roses, calls it a "Shrublet". Many have to keep it pruned back to keep it in bounds. Mine is in a pot until I can find a really good place for it.

• jpw_chi
    17 years ago

Hot Tamale
    Incognito
    Sweet Chariot
    Soroptimist International
    Glowing Amber
    Scentsational
    Minnie Pearl
    Norwich Sweetheart
    Sweet Caroline
    Ring of Fire

With a special honorable mention for Cherry Hi.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Tamale

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info diane_nj, it actually does help a lot! Soon after I posted that message I found out (on another website) that my What a Peach wasnt actually a mini. The nursury I got it at said it was a mini. Im hoping that it doesnt get too big; the small spot I have it in isnt going to accomodate it. I still adore it though.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Helpmefind.com has it listed as "Miniature, Shrub, Shrublet", the ARS has it classed as a "Shrub". In your zone, What a Peach may stay smaller, but really keep an eye on it, it wants to be a climber.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County