Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentucky_rose

What's new 2009 and is WOWING you

Josh Alonso! The pictures don't do it justice! Deja' Blu is showing potential.

Comments (18)

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

As far as minis and minifloras go....

Shirley Raye

Breath of Spring

Some of my others are My Sunshine, and I am really looking forward to seeing Grace Seward bloom.

• jmac_2008
    14 years ago

Great question! First Impression and Hope and Joy are new additions to my garden. Wistful and Denver Dream are on their second year, but they are doing something new in 2009.
    First Impression from Nor'east is wowing me with it's generous fowers that have a strong/deep yellow color.
    I didn't expect Hope and Joy to grow so quickly. I needed a shorter mini for the front row in my rose bed and it is one inch shy of its max height of 15" after less than 3 mos. Hope and Joy also had a pleasing bushy shape and is generous with blooms (2" size).
    Wistful has wowed me by doubling its height in the last 30 days and covering itself in buds. There will be a fantastic show of pink mauve flowers if all goes well. Denver Dream has wowed me ("relieved me" is more accurate) with a great increase in height over the last month. Last year, growth was mostly horizontal and I worried it would stay short. It's now over 15" and I hope it will eventually exceed 20". DD is currently covered in a great number of buds that promise a spetacular show.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    14 years ago

Joy is the best I've grown this past year. It looks like a small version of the HT Louise Estes.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ken-n.ga.mts, Where did you purchase "Joy?"

• peter_rabbit
    14 years ago

Josh Alonso is AWESOME!!!

See pics

Here is a link that might be useful: Josh Alonso pictures

• ken-n.ga.mts
    14 years ago

Coolroses in Palm Beach carries it. Just keep it in a 3 gal. pot and winter protect it for a year or two. Mine went through this past winter like a champ (with good protection). It will get the same treatment this winter and next spring will come out of it's 3 gal pot. I have all my young mini's in their spot in the garden but in 3 gal pots. I just dig a hole where I want the bush and drop the pot in the hole. Cover with mulch and bingo!! easy care for a couple of years. A little work during the winter but the results are worth the extra work. Even everything on their own root system get the same treatment.

• lucretia1
    14 years ago

Fair Molly and My Sunshine are great little roses. Growing like weeds and covered with blooms, in spite of drought. Chick-a-dee also has the potential to be a favorite.

A bunch more from Nor'East are on their way, so there may be more favorites among them.

Lullaby is also outstanding, but it's a poly, not a mini.

• petsitterbarb
    14 years ago

Still very young, but my favorite is from my first batch from Nor'East...Electric Lady. Beautiful, healthy little plant, gorgous form and color of bloom...and delightful FRAGRANCE.

• gnabonnand
    14 years ago

For me, it's 'Pacific Serenade'. I also like a no-name mini given to my wife from one of her students ... so glad we potted it up rather than throwing it out after its initial buds & blooms were spent.

Randy

• jmac_2008
    14 years ago

Glowing Amber: this is its second year and I'm WOWED with the number of dramatic blooms of yellow with a red border. Last year the bloom production was a lot less, and I was afraid Glowing Amber would not survive my blistering summers. In 2009, the blooms keep coming and I love the pointy petals. I can see why Glowing Amber has won so many awards.

Liberty Bell: Gorgeous long lasting blooms of red with a white reverse. These blooms are large, and I'm wowed by their number in 2009. Last year I probably had a total of 5 blooms and never more than one at a time.

• studaddy
    14 years ago

Baldo Villegas, Edisto, and Blue Suede Shoes have really done well for me so far!!

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

studaddy

I have had Edisto for 2 yrs now and I have to agree it is a great rose that blooms and blooms.

• studaddy
    14 years ago

I really like the color. Does the bush get very big? I started it from a cutting, so it hasn't gotten very big yet.

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

studaddy

My Edisto is in a 20" pot. It grows upright and stays about 2 1/2 ft tall. HMF states it can go to 3ft.

• sunnishine
    14 years ago

Shenandoah....new in the spring from almost heaven. 3 feet tall already in a large pot. The flowers on the bush last for weeks. I had fully open flowers last for more than 2 weeks. Very vigorous and floriferous. It does need to be sprayed, mildew seems to be a problem for it.

• jmac_2008
    14 years ago

I'm currently being wowed by Jilly Jewel and its profusion of ice pink blooms. It's living up to its designation as a florist rose. Pacific Serenade has been prolific too. Love the deep yellow of new blooms.

• gnabonnand
    14 years ago

jmac_2008, I hear you about Pacific Serenade being "prolific". That little thing just doesn't stop! So glad I bought 3 of them, because I don't know anywhere that offers it now. Hope it roots from cuttings easily. I know it's probably under patent, prohibiting anyone from doing that for years ... but what is a person to do when you can not find it?

Randy

• jmac_2008
    14 years ago

Randy, wish I'd thought ahead and purchased more than one Pacific Serenade. I received it in the late spring from Nor-East, and it has grown steadily with no hint of disease. It's almost painful to see the number of blooms it puts out--I have the feeling this plant is going to kill itself!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz