Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kordana pink rose continue blooming in summer - updates

Looks pretty darn good.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 11:19

They look great! I don't know how you do it because I've never been able to keep one alive inside for any length of time.

o

Now, following so many advices, I finally placed it outside in full sun.

But I am a little disappointed. It seems to have lost the tenderness of indoor plant. Now, outside, it looks almost identical to any roses we see in the street. I am almost certain that you can tell from the pictures.

Here is the batch of late summer bloom. Pictures are taken today:

photo HKHouseYard038_zpsa5df255f.jpg

photo HKHouseYard036_zpse6184d4c.jpg

photo HKHouseYard040_zpsd0319930.jpg

photo HKHouseYard037_zpsa8fd68e6.jpg

photo HKHouseYard035_zps946db418.jpg

photo HKHouseYard050_zps00fb9836.jpg

It seems that there is something unusually beautiful about cultivating these indoors.

o

I have some Kordana roses I bought at the end of the season last year from Lowes - purple and apricot that just won't stop blooming for me here in Venice. I love them. They are by far the most easy to maintain and consistent reblooming roses I have.

Once they start to get a little scraggly, I simple take hedge trimmer and cut them down drastically, straight across. Afterwards they spring back just like new!

o

Posted by stacian zone10 socal (My Page) on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 20:51

I have divided the pot into 5 individual plants. I realize they are much more fragile in winter indoors.

1 of the 5 has blackened completed - died. The plant was very vigorous last year.

Three of the surviving plants are here - picture taken today December 31, 2013. I probably should have let them dormant naturally outside?

photo 2013-12-31041_zps65259a98.jpg

o

Right now they look OK. If you get any warm winter day's (high's upper 50's or better) move them outside into a partly shaded area. If the late nigh temps don't go below 35, keep them outside. If it gets cold, bring them back in during the evening. Don't let them get to warm inside. I know a little work but they should be beautiful this spring/summer.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 17:27

Stacian, sounds like your doing a great job with those roses!

Juju, splitting those tiny plants is very difficult so don't feel bad that some of them died. I've had the same luck with splitting them myself so no longer try to do it.

Generally I never recommend trying to keep them inside over the winter. Roses are never happy inside. Anytime roses are in temps above about 40 degrees they will try to grow and they can't get enough light or humidity to grow properly and will struggle at best in the house. If you do want to keep them inside put some lights on them even in the window and place them on trays with water and pebbles in the bottom. Make sure that the bottom of the pot does not sit in water but up on the top of the stones. This will help bring the humidity up around them.

o

Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 17:27

Posted by ken-n.ga.mts 7a/7b (My Page) on Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 13:03

Thank you so much. The days are getting longer and our sun is getting stronger. My mini-roses love it. I think they are fine now.

Also, I took 5 cuttings last fall. Three have rooted but only two survived okay. They are happy now. See below:

photo 2014Win051_zpscf22680b.jpg

This post was edited by jujujojo on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 19:10

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here