Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grhodes_gw

Miniature Rose Dying Outdoors

grhodes
17 years ago

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can give me. My daughter was given a miniature rose for her 1st birthday, and we planted it outside, in the ground (about 3 weeks ago). However, since we've planted it it has steadily gone downhill, all the leaves and the flowers have shrivelled. It has been very hot weather since we planted it, but we've been watering the soil morning and evening most days. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can save it?

Comments (8)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Make sure to water deeply, so that the water gets down into the soil. Once a day should be enough. Minis need to be "hardened off" before being placed in direct sunlight. This is done by gradually exposing the rose to sunlight over a period of a week or two, and then planting in the ground. In that way if you saw any leaf burn, you could have put it back into a shady area until the heat wave ended. If you have any way to shade the plant, that would help now. I wouldn't do any fertilizing until after the plant starts growing new leaves. Good luck.

• george_mander
    17 years ago

Was just going to tell you : "DO NOT" fertilize a newly planted rose" and then I saw that diane_nj was suggesting the same. You might have leaf burn.

I have just written an article for my web-site about planting and growing minis. It will be edited and then added to my articles page within a month.
    Here the unedited version :

Tips for planting and growing Miniature Roses

# 1 : When buying NEW minis, which come out of the greenhouse. "Do not" expose them to direct sunlight right away as you may burn the foliage.
    Keep in the shade for at least a week and then gradually give them 2 to 3 hrs of sun a day for a week to 10 days. Then you can put them in "FULL" sun.

# 2 : Planting. (Canada and northern US States)
    When you buy a new mini in a 3 to 4 inch pot, do not plant them into the ground right away !!! If those small pots are full of new roots, I cut appr. 1/4 inch off the bottom of the root ball with a steak knife. This way new fine hair roots will develop really fast.

I first transplant mine into one gallon pots. After 3 to 4 months the one gall. pot may have roots right down to the bottom. If roots go around in circles itÂs time to plant into 2 gall. pots. Again, I cut about 1/2 inch off the bottom with a large steak knife. From the 1 gall. one could plant them into the ground, but I prefer to leave them in the 2 gallon pots for the first season.

Years ago I did some experiments with my own minis and those I grew on in pots were 2 to 3 times larger after one season compared to those which were planted right into the ground.
    Up north the ground never warms up until late May compared to the pots where the soil warms up fast with just a few hrs. of sun a day.
    In the southern & hot US states it will be OK to plant right into the ground.

# 3 : Fertilizing. "DO NOT" use chemical fertilizer for potted roses !!!
    My friend Tony and I have both killed a number of minis in one and two gallon pots, using the fertilizer we use in the rose beds. Too much nitrogen will damage or kill the roots and the plants may die.

Use slow release Osmocote.
    Or, water soluble fertilizer can also be used. If it calls for a teaspoon for 4 litres or 1 gall. of water use a level spoon, but "NEVER" a heaped one. As this is also a chemical, use a bit less as too much may damage the roots but may not kill the plant. Again I am speaking of my own experience.

# 4 : Needless to say, water, water, water !!!
    Never let your pots dry out as they have to be watered more often than roses in the ground.
    Good luck George Mander

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses of Excellence

• gramchrys
    10 years ago

I bought 2 4" pots of pretty miniature roses. They were kept outdoors on a windy deck since early August and were doing well. I brought them home from our cottage one week ago and kept them indoors and watered. However both plants have dried up and lost all leaves and flowers.

Can I still plant them outdoors now (early Sept.) and expect hem to grow back neck spring? I live in Grand Rapids Michigan so we do have a very cold winter?

So, should I plant them or toss them?

I would appreciate your advice.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

It's hard to say if they'll make it or not since they've dried up. Are any of the stems still green? It's worth a try to put them in the ground if there is any green left on the stems. If you plant them continue to water them right up to freeze. Mulch them heavily with leaves for winter. Most minis are on their own roots so if the roots are still viable they should come back.

I know there is a really great rose society in the Grand Rapids area. If you have questions you should contact them. I'm sure they would be very happy to help you out!

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

I hate to tell everyone, the minis that the florists sell all throw away roses. They are not worth the work of keeping them alive. Then go to forloveofroses.com and buy some good minis.

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by george_mander 5 to 6 (My Page) on Sun, Jul 30, 06 at 0:51

Can you explain how you keep your mini roses in winter?

Here is my original questions: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rosesmin/msg0711410614201.html

• SasorisPuppet
    10 years ago

There is no problem with buying roses from a store rather than a nursery, the only plant that I have ever bought from a store that I couldn't save was a set of tulip bulbs in a vase that had a fungal disease. Most often they will survive with a bit of TLC and some quick thinking. That being said, if you buy a plant because you want to save it getting in touch with local growers or others online can be very helpful. :) A rose is still a rose no matter where it was raised.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida