Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
radwmack

RMV on ownroot minis?

radwmack
18 years ago

I understand the vectors involved to spread this virus, but I've just not heard anyone report on their ownroot minis having RMV, before.

This spring, my 1-yr. old Iced Tea started putting out variegated leaves (dead-ringer for some of the photos posted on RMV sites). Sorry, I don't have a photo right now, but when the new growth started coming, many of the leaves were half dk. green & half white, or large white stripes. Too early in the season to have been spraying any Roundup, so that's not the culprit. Also, most of the new growth since is the same.

(The plant came from a reliable vendor, so I won't name names, so I feel they weren't intentionally selling plants known to be virused.)

Anyone else have this experience?

Comments (12)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

I have RMV on an own-root HT, so yes, it is possible.

• cuyahogakid
    18 years ago

I understand that too much(or too little) fertilizer can can lead to too many nutrients(or nutrient deficiencies) that mimic the rose mosaic leaf pattern. I realize that this can be very frustrating.

A three part article worth reading.

'Rose Mosaic Virus' is a disease found on grafted roses from bad root stock.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Leaves on My Roses

• henry_kuska
    18 years ago

My RMV info is found at the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: My RMV info

• User
    18 years ago

'Iced Tea' often produces semi-variegated foliage and it is not, I repeat NOT RMV, but a natural tendency to produce the occasional variegated leaf. The people at Sequoia Nursery have acknowledged and supported this fact, as their original plants do this as well. Fret not, the sky has not fallen, in this case.

Paul

• henry_kuska
    18 years ago

Paul, how did they determine that the original plant was not virused?

• User
    18 years ago

I know where this is going to lead and I won't go there. Are we next going to ask the question "Is 'Verschuren' virused?"

Paul

• henry_kuska
    18 years ago

Does anyone know if the original plants of 'Iced Tea' were tested for rose viruses (and what the results were)?

• radwmack
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Paul, thanks for the info about Sequoia's experience with this, as well. My Iced Tea has been so healthy otherwise; I was hoping to be mistaken.

Like I said before, I know RMV can look differently in the pattern on the leaves. Mine just looks variegated. I wouldn't be surprised if it weren't A virus, but was hopeful that it wasn't THE virus.

Everyone, thanks for all the help!!!
    Feeling more relieved,
    Wendy

• henry_kuska
    18 years ago

There are many strains of the individual viruses that collectively are called RMV. You may have a "weak" strain. There is also the possibility that your strain ( if the variegation is being caused by a virus) is not "weak" in general but that your particular rose variety is able to control/resist it. If this was the case with your "My Iced Tea" plant ( if it does have a virus) you would be running the risk of it infecting your other roses and having a possible negative effect on them.

The following link gives a rose hybridizers web page search of discussions of variegated non virused plants and how to examine the leaves.

My understanding is that non virused variegation is a permanent condition of a plant. Does your plant have normal leaves in hot weather? If so, this would suggest (to me) a temperature sensitive virus.

If your examination of the leaves as described in the hybridizers link still leaves you uncertain, perhaps the company would be willing to share with you how they determined that the variegation was not caused by a virus.

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• radwmack
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I finally found a photo that shows the leaves of Iced Tea since this change. (Sorry the photo's not bigger)

Paul, is this what they were seeing at Sequoia?

• User
    18 years ago

Yes, precisely. This cultivar has legitimate moderate variegation.

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    18 years ago

I have a grafted Winsome with RMV. Any cuttings I take from it would be own root, and also have RMV. It all depends on the mother plant...

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County