Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I keep these seedlings alive????

Posted by birdtalker z7WA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 13:09

I am not a mini rose grower, every one I have planted has died except for this one which was my first. No name or type known. I planted it a barrel many years ago and it has done just fine except for aphids. I planted a mint in the barrel with it and haven't seen an aphid since. Last fall I pruned it back and threw the trimmings in the compost. This spring my husband found two small rose plants in the compost and potted them up for me. They have been growing in a 2 in pot since on my deck. Question is, should I bring them inside for the winter or leave them on the deck. I would pot them in a larger pot before that I think, but I do not want to lose these little plants. How should I treat them over the winter?? I really, really, really want to keep these plants alive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I keep these seedlings alive????

birdtalker

I keep my container roses outside all year around but I am not in your zone so I will not give advise but you may want to repost your questions in the regular rose forum as there are many people that live in your state and zone that can give you the proper advise.

Good Luck

o
RE: How do I keep these seedlings alive????

Birdtalker;

Don't bring them inside. They'll be much easier to care for over the winter if you let them go dormant. Bringing them inside where its warm is an invitation for spider mites to suck them dry.
I don't know how cold zone 7 gets; they may be just fine in large pots on your deck, but if you want to be safe you should consider moving them to an unheated garage in their pot. You could also dig a big hole, and bury the pot in the ground over the winter.
Either way, just make sure they get a little water, and they should be fine!

Good luck!

Lara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here