Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dnj3

Baby grasshoppers??

dnj3
18 years ago

I just moved into a new house and am a very beginner with this gardening, so any help will be appreciated. About 3 months back I bought two J&P mini roses Honey parfume to put on either side of my front door-they are in large urns. About the last month I have noticed black holes in the rose buds before they have even opened and noticed what looked like small 1/2 inch grasshoppers with antenna that are black and white. I have used water to spray them off, it got rid of some but not all do I just stay consistent with the water or is there something I can use? One other question is I live in the Dallas area and the first bloom of roses were wonderful but now the buds seem to dry up and become brittle before they even get fully open-any ideas. Thanks for any help you can give.

Comment (1)

• luis_pr
    18 years ago

Welcome and congratulations on the new house!

Adult Robber Flies can be released to feed on grasshoppers and other insects. Insecticidal soaps/oils containing pyrethrins and pottasium salts will paralyze them and kill them (be aware that it can be toxic to fish though). Chemical products containing carbaryl will also work. Follow the instructions on the product labels.

Regarding the problem with buds, I would check to see if your plants are being affected by thrips. If so, you can: (1) apply Orthene/Isotox/Bio-Neem/Conserve-SC/Bayer Adv Rose&Flower Insect Killer, (2) behead the blooms that have thrips and dispose of in a sealed bag, (3) release beneficial nematodes.

Luis

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!