Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Breeds for Containers?

Posted by OregonShrub N.W. Oregon (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 05 at 13:54

I would like to poll the knowledgable forum posters here on what they think are the best varieties for containers. My roses will have to live their beautiful lives in pots on my apartment porch so I want types that are well suited for it.

thanks, blessed be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Breeds for Containers?

Minis are great for containers! Take your pick. :-) Just remember, they will need more water and fertilizer than those in the ground. If your winters are cold the pots will also need to be moved to a sheltered location.

o

• Posted by Maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 30, 05 at 13:33

Also, will you spray? Mini roses are no different then their bigger cousins. Some are more disease resistant then others. I'm not talking insecticides, which are seldom necessary, I'm talking fungicides. Disease free roses, where no spray whatsoever is needed during the year, are few and far between. Some of the more disease resistant (note the word resistant) roses in my experience are: Gourmet Popcorn, Magic Carousel, Cinderella, June Laver.

o

I would add 'Apricot Twist' to the list of highly disease resistant Miniatures suitable for balcony containers. I also highly recommend 'Glowing Amber', which is superb.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Glowing Amber

o

• Posted by Maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 1, 05 at 15:49

With June Laver as a parent I will have to check out Glowing Amber. Gorgeous picture. Got stems?

o

Having no choice BUT to garden in containers, I have learned a couple of things: some roses like being in containers more than others AND some are more disease-resistant than others. DUH!

While I have never planted minis before this year, I paid attention to Pete41 in Florida who recommended "Conundrum." These were on sale at Rosemania, so I bought two. WOW! Almost NO defoliation (I don't spray), and I had to stake one of them. These flowers originally show yellow and turn into different colors until they are (mostly) solid red before fading. How marvelous!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here