Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thecitychicken

Can I prune back, dig up, in July?

thecitychicken
16 years ago

My seven small/young miniature roses all got very bad black spot.

I'd also like to move them from where they are.

Can I dig them up now in late July?

Can I prune them back now? How severely?

Can I make them into "bare root" roses somehow to plant next year, or should I replant them immediately in the new spot?

Thank you! --Katy

Comments (4)

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

"Can I dig them up now in late July?"

Yes. I just dug up a mini and put it in a pot b/c it has had a rough year. No problem, it already looks happier in a pot.

"Can I prune them back now? How severely?"

Someone else can answer this. I would be more likely to defoliate the spotty leaves but leave the branches. They should have active growth nodes and be able to send out new leaves easily.

"Can I make them into "bare root" roses somehow to plant next year, or should I replant them immediately in the new spot?"

There's no way to bareroot them that I know of. You could pot them up, or replant.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• thecitychicken
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone, for all the helpful replies.

So I did it; I dug up three of the six. I defoliated and even pruned a little. I transplanted them in some raised beds. I know they will live; roses are hard to kill, ironically, for being a sometimes tricky plant.

I'm already glad I did it; the area where I removed them from is the first thing people see when they approach the house. The nearly nude spindly branches and black spot and sorry looking blooms were not attractive. :)

What's funny is that last year, their first year in that spot, they did great. I thought I'd found the "ideal" place for roses. :S

--Katy

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Katy, it isn't that the spot was not "ideal" so much as your plants need to be treated for blackspot with a fungicide on a regular basis. Moving them won't eliminate the blackspot issue. Blackspot is always present, and the key is to begin and continue treatment before the fungus has the opportunity to germinate.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    16 years ago

If you already have blackspot the only fungicide that will kill the spores is Manzate or a product with zinc and manganese in it. The other fungicides only prevent it from starting.

Sponsored