Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
radagast_gw

Can miniature roses survive in containers outside?

radagast
14 years ago

Just a question for you folks:

Can a typical miniature rose (be it from a grocery store, nursery, or a placed that specializes in them) survive all year outside in a flower pot (Zone 7 climate, Maryland)? I live in an apartment and thus don't have any ground to use for rose planting.

I know that they are basically "just like roses" once they adapt to the outdoors, but do they make good pot plants for a balcony or patio?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

Hi

Where in zone 7 and how close to the coast are you? I live in the upper cusp of zone 8 and my minis live outside all year long. If you keep them in at lest a 15" or 16" pots that should allow enough protection. The only thing you may need to do is cover them with a sheet to protect them from the bitting cold wind. The real trick is finding roses that are known to be hardy in zone 7. And there are many to choose from. How much sun does your outdoor space receive?

Liz

• radagast
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm south of Baltimore, but not right next to the coast. My balcony receives full sun since it is a south-facing exposure - I already have coneflowers, yarrow, salvia, and a daylily out there that have survived for years in pots outside.

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

Where you live you should not have any problems growing a roses on your balcony. You may also want to look at the smaller shrub roses along with the minis especially if you would like roses with fragrance. Just remember, some minis will get quite large (over 4'). So you should look a roses that stay about 2' to 3' tall. A good place to start is on HelpMeFind roses.

Nor'east has stopped selling retail but there are other nice nurseries that specialize in minis. Two that come to mind are Two Sisters and Almost Heaven. I have 3 from Almost Heaven and all are doing great. I have not ordered from Two Sisters, but they have a great reputation. If you want to look at small shrub roses, I would recommend Ashdown Roses and Roses Unlimited. I have ordered from both and have been very pleased. There are many others of course, but all of these are on the east coast so shipping cost will not be as high.

Liz

• radagast
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info, Liz!

How disease resistant are the mini roses? Blackspot is a big concern in the eastern parts of the US, so plants that can hold their own against it would be best. Also, are most minis grafted or are they grown on their own roots?

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

All minis are own root which in my opinion, makes for a stronger fuller plant as an ownroot rose will give you basel breaks and hence a fuller plant.

Black Spot (BS) is something we here in BS heaven have to live with but some roses do better than others. You will also find young roses may be more prone to BS and then as they get older the BS will not affect them as much. Right now in my garden, my minis are a year old or younger. And only Earthquake and Scentimental has shown BS but spraying with Bayer disease control once a week has stopped it.

I would contact the nurseries and ask as they are all in BS heaven and will know which one fair the best. That is one reason I recommend those particular nurseries as they have the same type climate as we do vice a nurseries in CA.

Good Luck and enjoy the roses.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional