Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with silly mini picks

Posted by michelle_co z5 CO (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 23, 06 at 14:03

Hi,

I ordered a bunch 'o minis from Nor'East. Most are Z5 rated. However, I ended up with 3 that are Z6. They were Scentsation, Seattle Scensation, and Sweet Caroline.

I had planned to pot them, but in reading on this forum I see the general thought is to plant the pots in the ground to overwinter them.

So my choices are to either do that, or to just plant them in the ground and mulch, mulch, mulch for winter.

What do y'all suggest?

If I do pot them and overwinter them in pots, would putting them in a north nook right near the house be best? I thought the temperature might be most consistent, but not as cold as being away from the house. Our daily winter temps can easily swing from 45 deg. during the day to -10 at night. I worry most about them breaking dormancy too early on a warm spring day then getting frost nipped when it turns cold again. Our last frost is usually around the first of June.

Thanks in advance!
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with silly mini picks

Michelle,

I would plant them in the ground. Minis are often more hardy than other roses, and more hardy than we think. Cover with a thick layer of leaves, mulch well and throw snow over the plants. Snow is the best insulation they can have!

Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here