Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
container mini question

Posted by michelle_co z5 CO (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 29, 06 at 14:23

Hi,

I ordered a bunch more minis (mini-manic?), with the idea of keeping some potted on my patio. We have a shade pergola with some large pillars and lattice that would look great with potted roses.

1. Can I use bottom/self watering containers? They will be on a hot, south facing patio.

2. Can I pot climbing minis? I ordered Rainbow's End, LaJoie, and Snowfall. I would love to let them climb.

Here's a picture of the back patio/drip garden. I would like potted roses inside the entrance arbor, and either small bushes or climbers in containers near the green chair and probably clear over to the left, where a lattice section screens off the hot tub.

There are new roses planted in front of the entrance arbor in the ground, they will fill up that space when they mature (a Sally Holmes on the right, and Mountain Mignonette on the left). For the taller lattice on the right, there are two baby Twister climbers establishing themselves to eventually fill in that area. For the short lattice with the rock on top of the 6x6, there is a young William Baffin establishing in that spot. He has an established grape vine on his left, and an established honeysuckle vine on his right. I think that area will be overcrowded when he starts growing (I didn't realize how large Baffins get).

Other ideas are welcome.

Happy Gardening,
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: container mini question

I wouldn't use any pot with a saucer on the bottom. You don't want them in any standing water.

Yes, you can put climbers in pots.

o

Sure, pots are fine. But remember the bushes themselves can get fairly large though the blooms are tiny. You might want to pot up in a bigger pot than usual.

I think self watering containers are different than using saucered pots.
They should not cause standing water. I've not used them, but I hear good
reports of them.

Jean L.

o

There is no way I would try to grow Jeanne La Joie in a pot. Mine is at least as large if not larger than a lot of my regular roses and send out basals every year.......lots of them.

o

Haha. I just bought Jeanne Lajoie yesterday, and upon reading I am starting to realize I just bought a potential monster.

o

I agree with Diane. I would only use pots with clear, open drain holes underneath; no bottom contraptions of any kind. You want to be able to water-water-water without fear of it backing up and suffocating the roots. Instead of self-watering pots, try a small amount of water-retaining crystals mixed into the soil. Just don't overdo it. I'd also avoid clay pots, as they allow the water to evaporate quickly and can get hot in the sun and bake the feeder roots. As for the pot size, you will want huge pots for climbers, even mini-climbers. Normally, I like to start baby roses off in small pots and repot up as they grow, but since climbers will be tied in place, that could be really awkward. I think I'd go for 24 inch diameter pots right off the bat. Maybe plant some non-agressive annuals around the small rose, so it doesn't look completely lost in the pot. Then the annuals can be scrapped as the rose gets bigger. Remember, too, a climber will tend to bloom only a little the first year, as it spends most of its energy on growing the long canes. Be patient, the following year will be beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here