Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madisonwigardener

what mini roses have you grown in zone 5 over the winter?

madisonwigardener
14 years ago

I'm wondering what zone 5 (or colder zones) gardeners have planted in their gardens and had survive over the winter -- i.e., planted in the ground, and mulched. I need a list! Any help would be appreciated... thanks

Comments (9)

• Terry Crawford
    14 years ago

I live by Peoria, IL and these minis survived -22F temps for a week this past January. I only had oak mulch at their feet and oak leaves that blew in as winter protection.
    - Bees Knees
    - Maya Kordana
    - Sweet Chariot
    - Bit o' Spring

Dan Keil grows a large numbers of minis and mini-floras and posts here on GW; he lives in Zone 5 also. You can e-mail him also for a list; he is the Consulting Rosarian for our area and would be glad to help you.
    -terry

• madisonwigardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much!! my list is started! I know that busy bee does just fine as does a few others, but wanted to hear from others who have some miniatures. Bought a bunch from noreast and am waiting for them, wanted to know which ones need extra winter protection. Will contact Dan Keil, and thanks again! Deb

• cnetter
    14 years ago

I've grown hundreds of miniatures this past decade or two - too many to list. It got below -20 F this past winter.
    I've found that roses from certain hybridizers tend to be hardier than others. And the really old micro miniatures like Tom Thumb and Cinderella are incredibly hardy.
    Anything by Harm Saville is winter hardy - that was important to the Savilles. Wendy White's roses have all proved hardy for me. The roses I have that are Frank Benardella's are also hardy.
    But I also have quite a few individual miniature varieties from other hybridizers that have proved quite winter hardy. Pucker Up is quite the monster. Jean Kenneally has proved wonderfully hardy, as well as producing an abundance of nearly perfect blooms.
    Post your list and I'll see if I have any of the same ones.

• madisonwigardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, thanks for the reply -- here is my list of the roses I've ordered (it's a lot!!). Asked the question because I noticed after I ordered them that some say zone 6. I'd like to keep them in the ground if possible, with mulch, etc. Any help on any of these -- how to help them, will be appreciated. Thanks!

And my list:

Autumn Splendor
    Baby Austin
    Baby Boomer
    Bambino
    Cal Poly
    Celebrate Life
    Charlie Brown
    Chasin Rainbows
    Cinderella
    Climbing Kristin
    Doris Bennett
    Double Take
    Electric Lady
    First Impression
    Iced Raspberry
    In Memory
    Julie Link
    Little Pinkie
    Live Wire
    Love and Peace
    No Worries
    Old Glory
    Overnight Scentsation
    Pacesetter
    Peach Delight
    Pinstripe
    RalphÂs Creeper
    Red Minimo
    Renny
    Ruby Princess
    Sachet
    Scentsational
    Southern Delight
    Sweet Fairy
    Sweet Sue
    Tiddly winks
    Ty
    Vista
    Work of Art
    Ada Perry
    Cherry Hi
    English Porcelain
    Golden Halo
    Green diamond
    Halo today
    Hope and joy
    Iced Tea
    Irresistible
    Jessica Rose
    Mary Marshall
    Minnie Pearl
    Mother Lode
    Mr. Bluebird
    Ora Kelly
    Patrio Song
    Pennies from Heaven
    Polly sunshine
    Ralph Moore
    Ring of Fire
    Rita Applegate
    Robi
    Rose Gilardi
    Saluda
    Sequoia Ballet
    Sleeping beauty
    Starina
    Sunny day
    Sunshine Sally
    Sweet Caroline
    Toy Clown
    Winter Magic
    Wistful
    Woodstock
    Yellow doll
    Constellation
    DenverÂs Dream
    Double gold
    Focal Point
    Gem of the rockies
    Jean Keneally
    Jeanne Lajoie
    KeithÂs Delight
    Lavender Delight
    Millie Walter
    Montana
    New Beginning
    Red Cascade
    Rose Gilardi
    Ruby Magic
    Ruby Princess
    Snow Twinkle
    Splish Splash
    Starina
    Sunswept
    Vineyard Song
    X Rated
    Pam tillis

Thanks -- if you have any that are less winter hardy than others and need more protection -- let me know (and also, what do you do -- extra mulch?) We also get -20 degree weather on a pretty regular basis!!

Debbie

• cnetter
    14 years ago

I've had some of those for a long time.
    Cinderella and Sweet Fairy are very very hardy.
    Others from your list I've had for years are Chasin Rainbows, Live Wire, Overnight Scentsation, Pacesetter, Ralph�s Creeper, Red Minimo, Sachet, Scentsational, Irresistible, Mary Marshall, Minnie Pearl, Rose Gilardi, Starina, SunnyDay, Toy Clown, Denver's Dream, Jean Keneally and Jeanne Lajoie.
    I could never get Ring of Fire to survive the winter, and I tried several times.
    FWIW, I rarely have snow cover in the winter. I've gotten some pretty tender stuff through the winter by putting a foot of maple leaves (they don't matt) on top of the plant. Also, some things have done well by being on the south side of my brick house where stays considerably warmer.

• madisonwigardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much... well, I'll look into doing something w/ Ring of Fire. Bring it in? put in a pot, store in the garage?? I'll figure it out. I thought of maybe putting it in a pot, overwintering in a garage,, but beforehand getting a cutting from it, just in case it doesn't make it...

and good idea w/ the maple leaf mulch! I thought of getting chicken wire and making a cage around the rose (the ones that are more tender...) and piling up the mulch. The purpose of the cage would be to ensure that the mulch stays put.

Debbie

• phil_schorr
    14 years ago

X-Rated may also need some extra care. For several years I felt it was very hardy - a big, robust bush. However, a couple of years ago I almost lost it over the winter even though it had a mound of chopped oak leaves on it. Fortunately one cane came through and it is now rebuilding itself, but apparently it can have problems under the right winter conditions.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    14 years ago

I have around 200 minis and mini flora roses in my yard out of the 400 roses I have. I have been growing minis for years. They are on their own roots so they are hardy. I do not cover mine at all during the winter. Just make sure the plants are not dry going into winter.

• madisonwigardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for the info!! we'll see how mine do over the winter. Deb

Sponsored