Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Suggestions for mini w/o stamens showing or quilled petals?

phylrae
18 years ago

I know I must sound too picky, but though I love roses and I WANT to love miniatures (my husband loves them!), I absolutely CAN'T STAND it when they open and show tan/brown stamens or get quilled (pointy). :0(

Once, awhile back, someone suggested I look into Ralph Moore's minis, as they often looked more full, like English roses, which we have and we love. The only mini we have is Fancy Pants, but once again, I hate the look of the stamens showing, and I end up deadheading them almost immediately. It almost looks to me like Japanese Beetles are inside the blooms, even when they aren't! Just looks kind of dirty to me. Maybe I'm weird.

Can anyone here relate? I do remember thinking that photos I'd seen of Sweet Chariot looked beautiful. Can anyone here recommend some minis that would fit the bill? And the best place to order from? Thanks so much! Phyl

Comments (9)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Gingerbread Man and Baby Austin. You'll have to check on the hardiness in your area. Eventually they all open fully and show stamens, I don't know of one that doesn't. Even if you like the miniature flowers, Polyanthas anso eventually open up wide and show stamens.

• msrose
    18 years ago

I completely understand. I've never been crazy about the stamens showing either. I've gotten rid of some really popular minis because I didn't like the pointy petals when the bloom opened all the way. Here's a few that you might like.

You can barely see the stamens on PINK POODLE but not like some of the minis.
    {{gwi:1207507}}

BABY GRAND
    {{gwi:1210523}}

LAVENDER CRYSTAL
    {{gwi:1201188}}

I don't have a picture, but another one I added this year is MARRIOTTA.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Marriotta

• phylrae
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Diane and Laurie,
    Thank you both so much for your help! I just ordered a Sequoia catalog and am excited to see what they have. Husband wants to plant a bed of minis. :0) Phyl

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

I can identify with your preferences (although I have some roses that I wouldn't part with that have Stamens/quills). However one of my favorite minis, Rainbows End, will fill the bill on both counts. It's on about everyones list as a great mini. Also may I suggest that you include the catalog from Nor' East and Bridges for drooling over.

• phylrae
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Laurie,
    I meant to tell you how beautiful your photos were....I especially love Pink Poodle. Looks like a dahlia! Maryl, I looked up Rainbow's End on helpmefind....gorgeous! Thanks all! Phyl

• ginni77
    18 years ago

Hey Phyl! I have a little mini called "Green Ice" and it shows a bit of very green stamen later on in it's maturity, but it's sort of Austin-like in it's form. I don't have any pictures of mine but here's the HMF link to it.

How have you been??

Ginni

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Ice at Help Me Find

• tenor_peggy
    18 years ago

One mini that hardy EVER shows its stamens is Kristin. It is a red and white bi-color and has good form that holds and holds.

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    18 years ago

Baby Grand is my favorite miniature. Next is Denver's Dream which ages well as well... Vineyard song stays sweet looking.

Twister always looks great...

• drasaid
    18 years ago

who can see stamens?
    Stay away from Singles if you don't like stamens! Me, I just nip them off when I don't like them anymore (wish I could do it with some people. But deadheading is not acceptable behavior outside the patio containers.)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor