Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for mini w/o stamens showing or quilled petals?

Posted by PhylRae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 05 at 16:18

I know I must sound too picky, but though I love roses and I WANT to love miniatures (my husband loves them!), I absolutely CAN'T STAND it when they open and show tan/brown stamens or get quilled (pointy). :0(

Once, awhile back, someone suggested I look into Ralph Moore's minis, as they often looked more full, like English roses, which we have and we love. The only mini we have is Fancy Pants, but once again, I hate the look of the stamens showing, and I end up deadheading them almost immediately. It almost looks to me like Japanese Beetles are inside the blooms, even when they aren't! Just looks kind of dirty to me. Maybe I'm weird.
Can anyone here relate? I do remember thinking that photos I'd seen of Sweet Chariot looked beautiful. Can anyone here recommend some minis that would fit the bill? And the best place to order from? Thanks so much! Phyl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for mini w/o stamens showing or quilled petals?

Gingerbread Man and Baby Austin. You'll have to check on the hardiness in your area. Eventually they all open fully and show stamens, I don't know of one that doesn't. Even if you like the miniature flowers, Polyanthas anso eventually open up wide and show stamens.

o

I completely understand. I've never been crazy about the stamens showing either. I've gotten rid of some really popular minis because I didn't like the pointy petals when the bloom opened all the way. Here's a few that you might like.

You can barely see the stamens on PINK POODLE but not like some of the minis.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

BABY GRAND

LAVENDER CRYSTAL

I don't have a picture, but another one I added this year is MARRIOTTA.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Marriotta

o

• Posted by PhylRae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 19, 05 at 16:39

Diane and Laurie,
Thank you both so much for your help! I just ordered a Sequoia catalog and am excited to see what they have. Husband wants to plant a bed of minis. :0) Phyl

o

• Posted by Maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 20, 05 at 0:21

I can identify with your preferences (although I have some roses that I wouldn't part with that have Stamens/quills). However one of my favorite minis, Rainbows End, will fill the bill on both counts. It's on about everyones list as a great mini. Also may I suggest that you include the catalog from Nor' East and Bridges for drooling over.

o

• Posted by PhylRae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 20, 05 at 17:05

Laurie,
I meant to tell you how beautiful your photos were....I especially love Pink Poodle. Looks like a dahlia! Maryl, I looked up Rainbow's End on helpmefind....gorgeous! Thanks all! Phyl

o

Hey Phyl! I have a little mini called "Green Ice" and it shows a bit of very green stamen later on in it's maturity, but it's sort of Austin-like in it's form. I don't have any pictures of mine but here's the HMF link to it.

How have you been??

Ginni

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Ice at Help Me Find

o

One mini that hardy EVER shows its stamens is Kristin. It is a red and white bi-color and has good form that holds and holds.

o

Baby Grand is my favorite miniature. Next is Denver's Dream which ages well as well... Vineyard song stays sweet looking.

Twister always looks great...

o
Get Micro Minis! If they are small enough

who can see stamens?
Stay away from Singles if you don't like stamens! Me, I just nip them off when I don't like them anymore (wish I could do it with some people. But deadheading is not acceptable behavior outside the patio containers.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here