Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dzzred

Newbie with questions

dzzred
17 years ago

I'm a newbie.

I'm making a "Granny's garden" (actually will more of a border) for my late mother. She loved roses. Doing a little research, it seems that mini's would be my best bet. I don't have a green thumb.

I did a search here, on where to buy mini's from. Did get UncommonRose.com. Is there other recommendations?

And I'm waiting for my Roses for Dummies to arrive.

Appreciate any help,

Yvette

Comments (4)

• laura1
    17 years ago

Actually the easiest roses to grow are the Old Garden Roses as most of them don't require spraying(for blackspot)...some grow quite large but there are others that stay a proper size: Pink Pet for one. I recently ordered from Almost Heaven Roses and was happy with the order. I would stay clear of grocery store roses although some people do well with them. Some miniature roses grow like little hybrid teas and others grow very compact and stay very small. If you don't know what you are doing you could end up with one that is a foot tall next to one that is 3 or 4 feet tall. Some miniature roses are good for cutting and bringing in the house and others make a good display in the garden but have short stems not good for cutting. Now, are you more confused or less confused?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Nor'East Miniature Roses, Bridges and Rosemania.com (they have stopped taking orders for the season) are other excellent vendors. Do some research, and do a search from the main "Miniature Roses" page for "disease resistant". Many minis are NOT disease resistant and will need to be treated for fungus (blackspot and in the west, rust).

You might also look into roses in the Polyantha class. Some grow short, with plenty of flowers.

• asthma
    17 years ago

I have several miniature rose bushes that I bought from Lowes and they do pretty well in my clay and rock soil. I bought them in the reduced section (if you do this check your plants very carefully before purchasing) and am very happy with them. I bought a yellow one for $1.87 that blooms constantly with blooms as big as a regular size rose bush and another pink one that is double bloom and it blooms two different types of blooms! But Laura1 is right that some will get tall and some will stay small. Like Laura1 writes, it depends on what you buy. Good Luck!

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

I have a miniature rose nursery in my city in CA who ships to most states. The owner Ralph Moore established and patented most of his miniatures over the years has excellent roses. I've been buying from him since 1985 and highly recommend his nursery, I think he's almost 80 now. His web site is www.sequoianursery.biz
    excellent pictures and descriptions of his roses and growths of each.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?