Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deadheading mini's

Posted by tomindenver (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 08 at 17:49

I have a couple of miniature roses that have just finished the first flush of blooms. How far should I cut them back? Do I need to cut back to a 5 leaf union?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deadheading mini's

Hi tomindenver,
Some people do cut back to a 5-leaf union. I just take off the bloom and then shape the bush as needed. Some of my minis are so small that I am able to snap off the flowers or make a quick cut by dragging the spent bloom across the v shape of my scissors with my finger. Soon you will find a method that suits you.
Here is my favorite 'how to' link on growing minis.
Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: All About Miniature Roses

o

Thank you for the advice and the link; it is a great resource!

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 21, 08 at 5:42

I have a few miniatures that are almost self-cleaning... once the blooms fade, the roses and their short stems of about an inch, or so, die and fall off.

Others, however, do not shed their spent blooms, and I need to remove them... I normally clip them off to the first leaf with 5 sections, as you would with any rose. Some of my smaller ones just get the spent blooms clipped off.

As of yet, I haven't done any major pruning or shaping... I've allowed them all to grow to their natural size and form. Most of them were just planted this past spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here