Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixed Reviews about Black Jade....

Posted by Joluvs311 z9 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 05 at 19:15

I found Black Jades just doing some research and thought they looked really nice. I like the dark reds. I got two currently in my yard and they're doing quite well. They both each have about a dozen buds on them and they've only been planted since this past April.

While they are beautiful, I've been hearing some mixed stuff about BJ's. Some say they're unruly and hard to care for. They should be in partial shade because they're blooms are hideous in full sun...etc. How do the people who have experience with them feel?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixed Reviews about Black Jade....

I'm in a relatively cool part of Southern California and they are healthy here with beautiful, dark blooms.

o

I have about 6 of them and they are a bit leggy, full of nice HT shaped blooms, but in order to keep them from burning, I have to pick them and bring them inside. Otherwise they burn in direct afternoon sun. Even the ones in the afternoon shade don't look too good by the time they are fully open.
Meg

o

The color of this rose is wonderful and most visitors really get a kick out of it. The flowers will fry a little in hot sun. If it had a few more petals it would do better in rose shows (but it is hard to beat in the open bloom classes!).

o

This rose was bred as a show rose, not a garden shrub. It is rather graceless in the garden, but the people who adore it don't care, since it has been producing show quality blooms for decades. Yes, the dark flowers cook to brown in the mid-day sun, so place it where it gets dappled shade from noon onwards and you will get a handful of the most richly colored blackish-red HT style blooms.

Paul

o

Thanks guys! Yeah I have both of mine placed in an area where, unfortunately, they get most of the midday sun and thereafter. So while the blooms look great at the beginning, they tend to get ugly once it's in full bloom. I was told that roses like their sun. I'm gonna have to go and prove that person wrong now. I guess I can live with the early beauties of the Black Jade for now. Maybe next year I'll transplant them into large pots and set them in the shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here