Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Correct Size Hanging Basket for Roses

Posted by rosesnpots z8 Tidewater area VA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 08 at 21:04

Hi

I am posting this question to the mini rose forum since I have see a lot of pictures of minis in hanging baskets. What size basket is recommended for miniture or ground cover roses?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Correct Size Hanging Basket for Roses

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 21, 08 at 6:09

I don't grow my minis in baskets, but if I did, I'd most likely choose a 12" or larger basket so the roots had plenty of room. I think the size of the plant, itself, will determine which size basket you choose.

You don't want too large a basket, but not one that's too small and will require re-potting sooner, either.

Google "hanging basket roses" and see what comes up... you may find some links with good photos that will give you an idea of proper size.

o

jodik

Thanks for answering me back, I grow most of my roses in container but they are 20" or larger and sit on the ground. I have a young Delbard ground cover rose that I feel should look great in a hanging basket.

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 22, 08 at 9:49

No problem... you could try it in a basket... as I'm sure you know, roses require lots of water and food... baskets tend to dry out faster than regular pots, but they do have the added advantage of excellent air circulation. Keeping a closer eye on the rose's needs would be the only change, I'd think.

Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here