Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msjam2

Walmart Parade mini roses, quick question

msjam2
18 years ago

I just bought 6 mini's from WM and I am wondering if I can plant them in my front yard that is facing South West? It gets morning sun until about 3 pm. I live in Central Florida in Zone 9B, do you folks think these roses can survive the heat?

Comments (11)

• Megsroses
    18 years ago

That would seem to be a very warm spot for them, but if you can keep them well watered and with a heavy mulch to keep the soil a bit cooler, I think they should do fine.
    Most of the heat during the day occurs after noon, so them being in the shade after 3 PM sounds ideal.
    Meg

• msjam2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Meg. I left the roses in my front yard (in their own pots) yesterday because I wanted to see how they will do, at 1 pm today, I put them in the shade as they started loosing their leaves! Is it too hot? Granted it's 92 degrees out there today, so I'm thinking of just putting them in the a big pot by the front door. Is that a good idea?

• Megsroses
    18 years ago

Minis frequently will lose their leaves after being moved from a greenhouse environment to a garden setting.
    Be sure to keep them well watered and provide bottom drainage.
    Since minis are on their own roots, if they dry out, they will die. Keep the pot elevated so that water can drain freely.
    92 degrees is pretty warm and often minis will stop blooming and growing once the temperatures go over 80-85 degrees to give the plant a chance to rest.
    What size pot are they presently growing in? Sometimes a small pot will heat up even more. Plastic pots are better than clay pots as the soil will dry out more quickly through the sides of a clay pot. Minis do very well in a large pot like a half whisky barrel.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Meg

• msjam2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have two of the minis in their own 8' clay pots. But the other 4 are still in their original pots from WM, I think they are 4" (plastic) pots. I will transplant them in bigger pots once I have the chance to go to Lowe's.

I moved all of the minis yesterday morning on the north side of the house, we have a screened patio and the minis from John's Miniature lives there but when I got home last night, the minis from WM looks like they had sunburn (if that makes sense) and some of them have lost a lot of leaves. Should I give them plant food?

Thanks again.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

No, keep them watered until they leaf out again and start to grow. Only then do you want to start fertilizing.

• msjam2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm sorry, I know I'm being a pain the behind here, but the search box seems to be missing here otherwise I wouldn't ask this. My WM mini roses are losing a lot of leaves, even the healthy green leaves, is this normal??

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

They are getting used to being outside, they were grown in a greenhouse. Make sure they are watered well, but not kept wet.

• gw:the-plantlover
    17 years ago

i want to plant my mini roses in the ground. how much sun do the need? what kind of soil do they need? also i bought little plant called Campanula is it a rose? I want to plant it with the mini roses how much sun and what kind of soil?
    what kind of fertilizer do these beautiful little guys need?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Generally 6 hours minimum, same as other roses. A "loamy" soil is very good, if too sandy or too much clay, add organics such as composted manure. A good fertilizer is Espoma Rose Tone, it is organic based and will both fertilize the roses and condition the soil. You might get more responses if you go back to the main "Miniature Roses" page and start a new thread. Also tell us what state you live in, zone 5 covers a lot of territory.

Campanula is not a rose, check with the Perennial Forum.

• gw:the-plantlover
    17 years ago

I'm sorry was not thinking I live in Illinois so 6 hrs of direct sun min. thanks you so much diane you are a big help any thing else you can tell me about these little one greatly app thanks again

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

They are varieties grown for their ease in flowering fast at a small size. For potted gift plant production. Not grown for garden performance. Don't be surprised if they don't do as well as minis that are grown for garden performance.

It is very common for them to totally defoliate especially when attempted as a houseplant.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County