Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike713

minis in containers....this winter ???

Mike713
18 years ago

I need to know what to do with the 7 minis I have this coming winter?? They are now in 8" pots and still quite small. My rose garden will not be finished in time to risk planting them this season. I am new to roses and would be grateful for any info.

Can they (some of the micro-minis) be kept in pots permanently?

I live in Massachusetts and the winters here can be brutal. I have an unheated cellar and the temps can fluctuateÂÂIÂd guess between 35-45 F depending on the outside temps. Would the cellar be an acceptable over-wintering place???

Thanks

Mike

Comments (4)

• Megsroses
    18 years ago

In Zone 5 you most likely won't be able to leave them in 8" pots on the patio over winter but your cold dark basement sounds like it might be usable. Keep them slightly moist but not overly wet so the roots won't dry out. Covering them with black plastic will keep them in the dark until you want them to start to put on new growth closer to spring time.
    However, the best way to over-winter them would be to sink the pots into the ground and cover with a leaf mulch.
    Then next spring once the danger of frost is past, you can lift the pots and bring them back to the patio to enjoy close up.
    BTW...8" is a bit small for a mini and you might want to consider moving them to a larger pot, 10" - 12" would do well for them.
    I wouldn't prune them back once the cold weather sets in. You can prune or cut them back in the spring once you see if any of the canes have died over winter or are diseased or damaged.
    You should notice that they most likely will bloom well into November given the type of care you are giving them.
    Bringing minis inside is asking for lots of problems as minis really aren't house plants. Spider Mites love indoor minis and will eat your plants alive (pun intended)!
    Good Luck with your babies!
    Hope this is helpful.
    Meg

• lacytv
    18 years ago

So I can leave my minis in 12" pots permanently? I was planning on putting a plastic bag over them this winter and leaving them outside. In my corner of Indiana, it stays pretty well above freezing for most of the winter and rarely ever goes below zero.

• Megsroses
    18 years ago

Lacy:
    Your roses will need a period of cold and dark.
    If they are exposed to lots of daylight, it will encourage them to grow even during the winter months.
    You need to give them a rest period and both darkness and cold is necessary to accomplish this.
    Enclosing them in a plastic bag may allow mildew to get started.
    Meg

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    18 years ago

I grow minis in pots year long along my driveway. Minis are hardy plants and don't need any protection. Potted minis out of the ground should be set into the ground to protect the roots. If you want to add mulch go ahead but it's not needed. Just make sure the pots are well watered. If the plant is in good shape going into winter, it should come out in good shape.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz