Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdave_gw

Why is Rise'n'Shine a Hall of Fame mini?

diggerdave
18 years ago

{{gwi:1211126}} (thumbnail, click to see full photo) is doing its normal thing. We have deadheaded 30 to 40 blooms so far {{gwi:1211128}} just keeps cranking the blooms out. New buds are forming. Doubt it will be bloomless much more than a week when this flush is finished. Too bad the critter isn't more fragrant.

Comments (21)

• Megsroses
    18 years ago

Most likely it is because at the time it was winning all the mini awards at rose shows and was the best of it's kind when it was introduced.
    Growers make suggestions each year for the rose they feel should be included in the HOF.
    Meg

• diggerdave
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Meg :) I didn't know what the process was. At the same time, I do understand why RnS is in the mini HOF. We also have Magic Carrousel and Starina. Both of them show us why they are HOF minis. Excuse my silliness.

• tenor_peggy
    18 years ago

Gee, Dave, I am envious. :-( I had Rise 'n' Shine too, but i just could not control BS on mine so I replaced it with Golden Beryl. G Beryl is not as nice as RnS and it finally croaked over the last winter so now I am in the market for another yellow. The only other 'yellow' I have is Fairhope, but this rose is a cream color to my eyes.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

Yes, Rise n' Shine isn't very disease resistant in my garden either. Powdery mildew and blackspot are both problems in the early spring before I get around to my regular spray routine. However it has some outstanding pluses for the garden. Nice rounded bush shape with constant bloom and almost evergreen leaves in my zone make it a wonderful landscaping rose.......But I will keep trialing other yellows. A friend of mine has the Poulsen mini Canyon Cupido and it looked like a real jewel.

• petaloid
    18 years ago

Thanks for posting the pictures that so beautifully answer your question.

It was a reminder to me of how good that little rose is. I love yellows and we don't get much true blackspot in my neighborhood. I think my garden may need to Rise 'n' Shine!

• diggerdave
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was hoping you wouldn't look Peggy. I know how much trouble you had with yours. I'm so glad blackspot isn't a problem here in Montana.

Maryl, I'll have to watch for CC. Yellow isn't my favorite rose color (I do seem to wear a lot of yellow shirts... Deb buys them) but Deb loves yellows.

Petaloid, blooms open fast on the critter but I do like the sonuvagun. If bs isn't a big problem....

• tenor_peggy
    18 years ago

LOL! I just HAD to look, if only to enjoy Rise 'n Shine by proxy......do you have any other decent yellow minis I can look into?

• diggerdave
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Deb gave me a grocery store mini a few years ago for Valentine Day. We nursed it until we could plant it outside. It has become a great yellow mini but I have no idea as to the identity. Lotta help ain't I? {{gwi:1211129}} is a blooming fool for us. Blooms age/fade fast. Nothing to base this on... for some reason I have a feeling it would be a disease magnet.

• cosimdm
    18 years ago

My Rise and Shine is great. Many blooms and no diseases.

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Hi diggerdave,

I was browsing the Edmund's roses website, and came across a very similar pic of your mystery yellow mini. It looks like Baby Love to me. Says it's pretty disease resistant. I'm thinking of getting this-I'm looking for a disease resistant yellow mini. Just a guess.

Jen

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Ok, I just posted and realized your pic says My Sunshine on it...duh...I think I need coffee! :)

Jen

• msjam2
    18 years ago

Hi DiggerDave,

How tall and how wide is your Rise N' Shine? I repotted mine into a 10 inch pot about a month ago and I see roots coming out of the bottom already! I have an 18 inch square pot in the garage and I was wondering if the Rise N' Shine should be alone in that pot or if I can fit 2 or more minis in there.

Thanks
    msjam

• diggerdave
    Original Author
    18 years ago

msjam, 18 inches tall x 2 feet in diameter so far. It may get a little wider. 24 inches is the tallest it has gotten.

Jen, Those little labels on the thumbnails are tough to see :) I understand.

Won't be able to answer more questions. This is the last day of my membership and I am not renewing. Y'all have fun. It has been a nice 8 years at GW.

• ginni77
    18 years ago

I'm excited, I just planted a Rise 'n' Shine (along with 15 other minis) in our new mini bed and I can't wait for it to bloom. Altho I'm more worried about it getting it's roots established before winter. But I'm really happy I got it after seeing your great photos Dave!

Ginni

• george_mander
    18 years ago

Rise'nShine was my first mini seedparent when I switched from BIG roses to hybridzing minis only. After my first batch of seedlings in 1989/90 I did not use it any more.
    Just like Ralph Moore told me on one of my visits to him, R'n'S produces too, too many white seedlings.

Check out my rose varieties on HelpMeFind (HMF) and you'll see that my mini Rubies'n'Pearls is one of its seedlings. There is also a sister seedling of R'n'P named 'Purple Gem'

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Mander' roses on HMF

• mike_in_new_orleans
    18 years ago

Tenor Peggy, I hope you see this thread again. I, too, live in Blackspot Hell. Two pure yellow minis that have done very well for me are Sweet Diana and Good Day Sunshine. Sweet Diana is buttercup yellow that does not fade. Its main fault is that the form blows quickly. But its beautiful for a day or two and blooms a lot. Good Day Sunshine is from Pete and Kay Taylor, also the hybridizers of Fairhope, the namesake for their home town. So I am guessing it may have some common ancestral genes to that show-winning rose. GDS is, for me, far more blackspot resistant than Fairhope, and it is a light but sunny yellow, definitely not ivory as Fairhope is. Unfortunately I don't know if it is in commerse anymore. You might email the Taylors and ask about it. I don't see it in their catalogs. But its a great rose--workhorse bloomer, one of the first to bloom and last to quit each year.

• sandy_wi
    18 years ago

Rubies and Pearls is stunning. Where can I get it?

S.

• george_mander
    18 years ago

Hi Sandy,
    Was trying to send you an e-mail but your GardWeb email does not work.
    Just now I came across your reply to Rise'n'Shine.
    You can get 'Rubies 'n' Pearls from Hortico in Canada and from TwoSisters' Roses in Oklahoma. Both nurseries are on my linkspage.
    Find out more about this rose on my Rose Info page and at HelpMeFind.
    George Mander

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses of Excellence

• george_mander
    18 years ago

Hi diggerdave,
    Your photo of the yellow rose is not 'Rise'n'Shine'!
    It does not have more than 5 to 10 petals as I can see on the photo. Rise'n'Shine has 25 to 35 petals. I have used it a lot in hybridizing years ago.
    Just checked HelpMeFind for more photos and it says 25 to 40 petals. Go to HMF and look at all the photos. There are ten of them. Link to 'Rise'n'Shine below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rise'n'Shine at HMF

• kathleenor
    18 years ago

How long can I keep my first year R&S in a 10 inch pot? I'm new to mini roses. Also does it need a small trellis?
    Thnaks

• george_mander
    18 years ago

If it's a 2 gall. pot you may keep it in for another year.
    As you are in Arizona you may want to put it into a 5 gall. one. I keep mine in 2 gall. pots for 3 to 4 years, but we have a much shorter growing season.
    Also, RnS doe not need a trellis.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm