Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
den123_gw

Memphis Magic

den123
18 years ago

I was very pleased to have won rose in a bowl with this new mini from whit wells it's parent is black magic one to get. Meford Oregon.

Comments (18)

• marisag
    18 years ago

I purchased this after reading your post. Can't wait to see how I do with it next summer. Thanks.

• rosibug
    18 years ago

Can anybody tell me where you can get Memphis Magic?

Thanks!

Terry/San Jose

• marisag
    18 years ago

Try Cool Roses.

• rosibug
    18 years ago

Thank you marisag, I will do that!

Best,

Terry

• mike_in_new_orleans
    17 years ago

I just saw this rose at our local annual rose show this past weekend, along with it's color sport, Memphis Music, which is equally dark red, but with light yellow striping a la "Abradadabra" or "Hocus Pocus." It appeared to have terrific form. I'm eager to try this one. I hope someone sees this thread and can share their experience growing it. Anything noteworthy about it's performance or growing needs?

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Mike, I think you'd almost do better to post your question on the rose forum page, I think everyone with minis went there.... I grow minis but not very people talk here. Wish I could help you out.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

I still read this forum, but many of the roses that are asked about, I don't grow.

It is fairly new (I have M. Music), and a favorite of exhibitors, most of whom don't visit GardenWeb. I have seen it discussed, just not here.

• mike_in_new_orleans
    17 years ago

Thanks. I noticed even the rose forum response rates declining. The mini forum has always been much much slower/lower volume. So I guess we might consolidate and post there.

• youngrosarian
    17 years ago

Two Sisters Roses and Whit Wells has it

• mike_in_new_orleans
    17 years ago

I just ordered Memphis Music from Almost Heaven Roses, which also has Memphis Magic.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    17 years ago

I saw Memphis Mood at a rose show and thought it was the uglist rose I've ever seen! I even laughed when I saw it.
    But beauty to the beholder!

• mike_in_new_orleans
    17 years ago

Memphis Mood? Never heard of it. There are several roses with "Memphis" in their names. We were discussing the mini-floras, Memphis Magic and Memphis Music. I found no "Memphis Mood" on the Helpmefind/roses site.
    You couldn't be talking about the same rose(s) because the 2 I mentioned are impeccibly formed florist-style roses with rich black-cherry-like coloring.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Almost Heaven just added "Memphis Blues" but no photo yet. Two Sisters has a photo of Memphis Blues and "Memphis Cajun" and I must have Memphis Cajun!!!

• floridaarkansan
    17 years ago

Memphis Music was almost named "Halfbreed" by Whit. He had a bloom that was red on one half and the yellow on the other. Whit is quite the hybridizer now. Many of his roses are named for family. The best name I think is "Lookin Good." He named it that because each day it was "lookin good." That's Whit.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    17 years ago

Memphis Magic is a beautiful red rose that lasts a long, long time on the bush or in a vase. Definitely a must have!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    17 years ago

However, I do like Memphis King better.

• jont1
    17 years ago

I just ordered several mini's including Memphis Magic from Vernon Rickard at Almost Heaven Roses. You certainly can't go wrong ordering from him as he always sends me top notch roses of any size.

• weldontx
    17 years ago

I just got Memphis Music and am impressed. Wish I'd known of Wells' roses before. How can we get more participation on this forum?? Post more often ourselves!
    Enthusiasm is contagious. and I have learned to LOVE mini's.

Weldon

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional