Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azmountains_gardener

Unkown Multicolored Miniature

This rose is miniature (about 2 feet tall) and its flowers are multicolored. The colors change as the rose ages, starting at orange/yellow/pink and aging to white/pink. It was planted 10-15 years ago, and I assume it was bought at a Big Box store. The stems are fairly heavily thorned. I don't know if it is a characteristic of the rose or if it has just been neglected, but it only has two or three blooms per year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here for my pictures. Click on each individual picture to see a large image.

Comments (9)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    13 years ago

Hot Tamale has been around that long. Mine had more quiled petals, but the ones in the photos at Helpmefind.com are not so much.

• jmac_2008
    13 years ago

Your pictures remind me of different stages of Autumn Splendor. A photo of Autumn Splendor appears on the home page of this Miniature Rose forum. If you search for Autumn Splendor on HelpMeFind Roses.com you'll find 3 pages of photos and many of these look like yours. Autumn Splendor was bred in 1999.

I may be guilty of thinking too much about this mini-flora because I was about to post a message saying it is one heck of a performer. I had very few flowers during its first year (less than 10) and more the 2nd year, but still not numerous. However, this year Autumn Splendor has been a blooming fool, continually covering itself in multicolored flowers that change as they age (yellow/orange/red/pink/white). It's one bright and remarkable plant!

• phil_schorr
    13 years ago

I love Autumn Splendor as well, but I don't think that is the identity of this mystery rose. The colors in the photos lean too much to the pastel side to be Autumn Splendor. It has really strong oranges and reds.

Having said what I think it's not, I must admit I can't say what it is. Sorry.

• jmac_2008
    13 years ago

I do think it's Autumn Splendor. The colors on Autumn Splendor are everchanging, and depending on the age of the blooms they can range from very bright to muted/faded. The blooms may also range from primarily yellow to primarily reddish pink not to mention all sorts of combinations of yellow, orange, white, reddish pink. I know because I'm looking my own Auturmn Splendor right now. Do you see the photo of Autumn Splendor on the opening page of the Miniature Roses Forum? The colors shown are pastel colors and not Autumn Splendor at its utmost brightest.

Good luck with identifying your rose.

• rev_roses
    13 years ago

I would be in the group who think it could be Autumn Splendor. A couple of the pictures on helpmefind are from my garden and they tend toward the yellow end of the spectrum. I think mine do not get as much direct sun as those who turn orange and red faster. The flower form on Autumn Splendor can range from very high center hybrid tea form to a looser center that pops up one petal at a time.

Scott

• rev_roses
    13 years ago

I have another idea. What about Rainbow's End? I guess I didn't think about it because I grow the climbing version but it is a very similar flower. Blow is a link to a picture I put on helpmefind of my plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cl. Rainbow's End

• professorroush
    13 years ago

Yeah, I'm thinking not Rainbow's End. While climate can affect the look, Rainbow's end is more yellow in the center (without the orangish tones) and more red than pink around the edges for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog

• Jeannie Cochell
    13 years ago

Only one of your pics looked anything like my Autumn Splendor but you're in a different climate so it might be, I guess. Looks more like Soroptimist International but SI hasn't been out 15 years, I don't think, and wouldn't have been available through a big box store anyway. J&P put Hot Tamale and Cracklin' Fire into the big box stores several years ago along with 3 others I can't remember. If the rose was truly purchased at a supermarket, HD or similar, it's probably a Cupido, Sunblaze or Poulson release and may not have a US-registered name.

• cuyahogakid
    13 years ago

I think the rose you had was Bees Knees.
    Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Bees Knees-HMF

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio