Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nberg7

Minis in Hanging Baskets

nberg7
18 years ago

I couldn't resist an excellent sale last night and bought some minis. I'd like to plant them in hanging baskets, but would love to hear from any of you as far as success or failure in this area. Photos would be a wonderful inspiration too. If anyone is doing this- I'd also like to know what special care you give them and if what you do to winter protect your baskets. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

-Nan

Comments (10)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

It's been my experience that most minis just get too big to stay long in a hanging basket. Especially in warm weather climates such as mine, by the end of the season they have eaten up the typical 10 inch hanging basket. There might be a few varieties that stay small enough for one season or two, but to just randomly pick up minis and put them in a hanging basket might not work. For one thing most minis don't "weep" but grow upright just like their larger cousins. Maybe someone else will be able to give you some successful hanging basket ideas. It just didn't work for me.

• nberg7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Maryl. My problem is I'm running out of full sun areas in my garden at this point and thought about starting to go vertical. But, I'd rather find a good spot for them in the ground than make them suffer in a hanging basket if it won't work.
    -Nan

• Leemac_z5_Ma
    18 years ago

Look for a variety called Red Cascade. cascade is exactly what it does! It looks fabulous in a hanging pot or over a stone wall! It has little flat bright red blooms that last forever! I have a statue of a boy holding a bushel basket, And I grow Red Cascade in a big pot that just fits insde. I take the pot out and put it in the garage for the winter. It looks great, I don't know how to post a picture, sorry!
    Lee

• tenor_peggy
    18 years ago

I live in a colder climate than you so my roses stay smaller, but I've had Sweet Chariot in a hanging basket for a couple of years now. I don't know if you would have to bring a mini in a container in a sheltered spot for the winter in your area. Maybe you can keep it outside but bring it in your garage when a cold snap is predicted? You may have to ask a local rosarian. Go to ars.org and click on Ask an Expert for a Consulting Rosarian in NC. There will be a list of CRs that will answer your questions via e-mail.

• ginni77
    18 years ago

Send it to me Lee, I'll post it for you!! Besides, I'd love to see it. I think I'm going to get more into mini's. I just love them!

Ginni

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

Again, I'm in a warm growing climate, so things over the years just keep "growing". I don't grow Sweet Chariot for example, but on a garden tour I saw it and it was at least 18-24 inches tall. I have no idea how old it was. Now if you were to perhaps expand your hanging basket concept to include those special large wire baskets lined with a cocoa mat, you might be able to enjoy growing roses in containers (again, provided they are weeping in habit, and Sweet Chariot would do for that). I've seen some huge house plant type plants in those wire baskets at nurseries and greenhouses, and they survived and even thrived in those special baskets.

• Sally_D
    18 years ago

I have Red Cascade in a hanging basket and it is beautiful.

• nberg7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the responses here. The "look" I want is the rose standard look that I'm going to try to get using a wire topiary support (uses a cocoa mat liner.) Once I get these put together I'll post back so you can all see what I've done. Peggy- I think you're right. I'll probably just grab them up and take them into the garage during any major cold snaps we get in the winter. At the rate I'm going there won't be any room left for my car this winter, but who needs a warm car right? LOL

Thanks again everyone!
    -Nan

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

Gee Nan, I missed the winter protection part. We are in the same zone, but don't know if our climates are similar, so take this with a grain of salt. Years ago my DH told me it was either him or the roses in the garage. He was becoming a bloody mess trying to get inside the car door. After only a momentary pause to contemplate this choice, the roses were left outside. Some are even out in the open (as opposed to nestled up against the house for warmth) and, knock on wood, I have never lost one to the cold yet. Typically we don't have prolonged cold spells under 10 degrees, and temperatures even in the teens don't last long. No snow cover unfortunately. Since minis are own root, if they do get nipped they should come back. You can dig a hole in the ground and bury the pot, but for me that isn't necessary.

• the_morden_man
    18 years ago

All of the following can be grown in a hanging basket with stunning results.

Green Ice
    Sweet Chariot
    Red Cascade
    Gourmet Popcorn
    Super Cascade Coral