Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini rose loosing leaves

Posted by jansy1985 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 12:30

Hi Everyone
I saw a small pot of miniroses at my grocery store couple weeks ago with blooms and plenty of buds - I just couldn't resist! Problem is that I'm new to plants and now am learning roses are very tough to care for indoors.
I moved the plant to a pot 1 inch larger than original using cactus mix as filler. The plant is in my kitchen where humidity is high, there's plenty of indoor lighting and its quite warm. Only in a couple of days, I noticed bottom leaves turning yellow and falling off. The new buds are not opening either and are starting to dry out. I thought maybe bottom leaves were not getting enough light so I used a small table lamp but no change. I checked for thrips etc critters but don't see anything.

I'd really appreciate any ideas in maintaining this beautiful plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini rose loosing leaves

Another picture- top view

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 15:33

Roses hate to be inside. Even if you think your kitchen is humid I can assure you it's not humid enough for the rose, nor would you want it to be. Also, all the lamps in the world can not replace natural sunlight. The best thing you can do is put it outside. I don't know about that cactus mix either. Any good quality potting soil would be better for it.

o

Unfortunately it's already fall weather here in Toronto with temperatures close to 10-15 C (50-60 F). Winds are quite strong too. I'm afraid putting it outside might just kill it even faster. I suppose these are a lost cause? :(

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 17:49

No, they're not a lost cause at all. Can you plant them outside in the ground somewhere? As the weather changes they will go dormant for the winter and should come back even better next spring. Plant them deep, the crown should be about 2 inches below ground, and pile them with leaves or mulch once they become dormant. Minis are usually own root and are pretty tough little cookies. Even if they die back completely to the ground over winter they should come back from the roots in the spring. There are a lot of roses that will survive zone 5 winters with no problems and minis are some of the toughest!

o

Thanks, Seil! I'll try that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here