Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coloradobird

'Salute' --anyone growing? Okay to plant in fall?

coloradobird
17 years ago

I planted three minis in the spring and so far so good. I'd like to add another red, and I'm thinking of Salute because of the deep red and small plant size. Anyone grow this, and what do you think? I have Harm Saville now and I love the color, but it hasn't been prolific (first year--maybe this will change). So I was thinking, since I'd like another of the same deep red color, I might try something new. 20" or smaller would be a good size. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Is it okay to plant minis in zone 5 in fall?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• jack_san_diego
    17 years ago

I planted a 24 inch Salute Tree Rose a month ago.
    The plant has produced three perfect blooms since being planted. Each bloom lasted two weeks on the plant before any signs of fading
    The tree is now filled with a dozen blooms.
    Nice rich, glossy color.
    So far no complaints with the Salute.

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you, Jack. I appreciate the weigh-in. I think I'll try Salute then.

• irish_rose_grower
    17 years ago

Anyone else growing Salute? I'm looking for a good red - any size mini

• mike_in_new_orleans
    17 years ago

I've had Salute 3 years, now. It is pretty prolific. Mine's bushy and about 30 inches high and wide. It blooms in distinct cycles, so I have a few weeks in between with no blooms. But when it blooms, it blooms a lot. It's a true mini, not a mini-flora. I really like the deep color. It has no fragrance I can detect. Blooms last much much longer than Black Jade, which is what I replaced with Salute. It's a healthy, trouble-free rose. But I wouldn't go so far as to say its necessarily the best red mini. There are many good ones to choose from.
    I also like Miss Flippins, which is a great near-continuous bloomer of bright cherry red blooms. Form is very good in the garden, but even better as a cut flower. A top exhibition mini (or mini-flora, depending on who you ask).

I just got Memphis Magic, a Whit Wells creation, and its color sport Memphis Music. Both are gorgeous black-cherry-red mini-floras with killer show form. Memphis Music adds thin pale yellow stripes to that coloring. I don't know yet anything about their growth, health, or productivity, but they look promising. No scent, though.

Caliente is new for me, too. Very good bloom form so far. Strong-medium to deep red.

Red Scentsation is another, I'm getting it for its fragrance, reportedly the strongest of the Scentsation series roses, and a strong, solid, deep red color. I'll have to see about form, but the scent alone is worth giving it a try.

Other reds I'm curious about include:
    Memphis King,
    Liberty Bell (I've seen it locally and loved its look)
    Trickster,
    Snow Ruby.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    17 years ago

Mike in New Orleans,

Memphis King is a must!

• mike_in_new_orleans
    17 years ago

Kentucky Rose, do tell! what do you like about Memphis King?

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    17 years ago

Mike,
    I like the deep red color, form, and the blooms last a long, long time on the bush or in a vase! I've seen it paired in rose shows (Hi-Low category) with Black Magic! I do spray my roses with pesticides. Probably my 3 favorite mini/miniforas are: Soroptomist International, Bees Knees, and Memphis King.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area