Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosesforthesoul

Gray spots on leaves

rosesforthesoul
12 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I just registered today and this is my first post. I have always wanted to grow roses but, until recently, I had not have the opportunity to do so. I decided to start "small" as I have always admired miniature roses very much. So, last spring, I got a couple of roses at a "grocery store" as I just couldn't resist how beautiful they looked. I did some research here and learned how to separate and re-pot them. I must said that I followed all the "guidelines" and it worked out perfectly. The roses have been doing so well that I kept getting more and I have ended up with 28. Up until now, they have been doing beautiful: growing strong and flowering "non-stop". I have only lost a few of them and it was during the "separation process", so I cannot complain. These roses have become my "pride and joy" as growing them have helped me to feel better about some personal issues. They have become a very important part of my daily life.

Nevertheless, since a couple of days ago, I have noticed that something is wrong: a lot of the leaves falling off and some kind of "grey stain" on the leaves and after a day or two, the leaves just turn into a "skeleton". I have also noticed that there are "biting marks" on some of the leaves and some kind of "strings" hanging from the leaves. This morning, I inspected them very carefully and I couldn't see any bugs on the leaves, but in one of the buds, there was something that looked like a worm or caterpillar, it was kind of white with some spots and when I touched it, it curled up. I only found one of them. All of the roses have new growth and are setting new buds, but I am really worry about this.

Here are the conditions in which I have them:

1. They are outside, along the front windows of my house in three and five gallons plastic pots.

2. The growing medium I am using is : 1/3 organic cow manure, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 organic potting soil.

3. They get direct sunlight from early in the morning until around 2 p.m., afterwards, it is shady.

4. The place where they are is very well ventilated and there is about 16/20 inches between each pot.

5. They don't get rain on and the sprinklers don't hit them.

6. I water them about once a week, without letting any water get in the leaves.

7. I have been using Bayer Advance Three in One (water soluble solution)every six weeks and then, every two weeks Miracle Grow fertilizer for roses (water soluble also). I have used both products to half their strength.

8. I re-pot all of them about a week ago and didn't notice anything wrong with the roots, quite the contrary: they look healthy.

9. I am in Central Florida and it has been EXTREMELY hot the last month and a half and in the last week, it has been not only hot but also cloudy and rainy, specially in late afternoons/early evenings.

I took pictures of the damage to the plants and also of the worm/caterpillar I found, but I don't know how to post them here. If somebody could tell me how to do it, I would very much appreciate it.

I have been doing some research about diseases and pests on roses, but I am very confuse with all the information that is out there and don't want to try anything that may not be the "right solution" for the problem and may make things worse.

I look forward to hear some advice on this matter as I am worry that whatever is going on may be the demise of my little roses.

Thanks in advance for your attention, your time and your advice!

Comments (7)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The skeletal leaves sounds like an insect, possibly rose slugs. Without seeing it I don't know about the graying, maybe a fungus of some kind, perhaps powdery mildew. You say you've been using the Bayer 3 in 1 but spraying for an insect before you actually have it is useless because insecticides work on contact and if the bug isn't there it won't kill it. Look for the Bayer Disease Control only product for the fungus. Only spray insecticides when you actually have seen and IDed the correct bug so you can get the correct product for that bug. When you just use an insecticide routinely you end up killing beneficial insects that can lead to a greater infestation of the problem ones later.

It has been very hot! So it's not surprising that the roses are stressed and more susceptible to diseases. And pots dry out quicker than the ground so I would water them more often in the high heat. The rain is good because they need the extra water when it's that hot but it also helps the fungus too, unfortunately. I know the standard rule has been to NOT get the leaves wet but some more recent thinking is that a good hard spray on the leaves can actually knock off a lot of insects and fungal spores. It can also help keep them hydrated when it is this hot because the leaves do take in water too. I've been using overhead watering during this hot spell myself. I also know someone who grows incredibly beautiful, healthy roses who swears by a once a week hard spray. He never seems to have any fungal diseases so he may be right.

The easiest way I've found to post pictures here is to have a Photobucket account. Once your photos are in an album on Photobucket you can copy the "HTML code" that comes up when you put your curser on the picture you want, then paste it into your post and it should show up. Photobucket is free and I've used it to post pictures at several different forums and it works great. I also like it because it's sort of a backup place to store my photos too.

• rosesforthesoul
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Seil!
    Thanks so much for your answer and the "tips"! I truly appreciate you taking the time to answer my post. As I said before, I am VERY new to roses and I can use all the help that I can get. I just enjoy them so much. Well, I opened an account on PHOTOBUCKET and uploaded some of the pictures, here is the link:
    http://s1209.photobucket.com/home/kuhra/recentuploads?view=slideshow
    Please let me know if you can see the pictures, I certainly hope so.
    In the pictures, you can see what is going on with the roses. I do think that there is more than one thing going on, like you said a disease and some kind of bug. I took a picture of the "worm/caterpillar" I found in one of the small buds. When I touched it, it curled up like a snake. It is the only one I had found so far but, the bud and the stem where it was, now have this kind of very little dark spots.
    This morning, I found more fallen leaves at the bottom of the plants. My three yellow ones are almost without any leaves. I also found some kind of "mushy stuff" underneath two of the leaves, in the same plant. I do not know what it was. I took the leaves off the plant. I wanted to ask what should I do: should I remove all the leaves that look sick or should I treat the plants first and see what happens? Please advice.
    Thanks for the tip about the pots drying out quicker than the ones in the ground. I will be more "generous" with the watering. I have them in pots because when I got them they were so tiny and, like I said, I was just trying to see if I could grow them. Until now they have been doing so well and I am debating whether to keep them in pots or plant them in the ground. We moved into our new house in the spring and we are still trying to "work out the yard", which is kind of small.
    But, in the from yard there is a very nice space for a nice and roomy flowerbed. My first idea was to plant the roses as "borders for the flowerbed, but if I do that, they will be in "full Florida heat and sun" at least ten hours a day, plus they will get rain on. I just don't know if that would be a good idea. Now, the good thing about this particular location is that during the fall/winter and spring time they would get a lot of sunshine and not as "hot" as during the summer. Right now, I have all of them in a "row" alongside the front of the house, and they are protected from the rain.
    I have thought about planting them in the same place they are at right now, but I just don't know if they would be "tall" enough to be in the back of the flower bed and if they would stay "short" enough to be "borders". Do you know how big these "minis" can get?. I have checked out the grower's webpage but it only says :"between 12 to 36 inches" that is NOT too helpful.
    We have had 43 days in a row of over 100 degrees temperature! It has been terrible. But, somehow, the roses and the rest of the plants have made it so far. Hopefully, whatever is "attacking" them can be get under control.
    It is very interesting your theory about the "spray watering". I think I am going to try that. Like you said, they need all the extra moisture they can get in this heat.
    Well, I will wait for news from you about the pictures.
    Again, thanks for your attention and your time.
    Have a great day,
    Ana

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Thanks, Ana, glad to help out!

That definitely is rose slugs. Those lacy leaves are a dead give away. Not at all sure what the slimy stuff is unless it's spittle bugs but I can't tell. Other than that I think they look pretty healthy. The leaf drop could be from the heat and too little water. That will stress the rose and it will drop leaves. For a really good source of information on rose diseases and insects check out this web site.
    http://www.sactorose.org/rosebug/
    Baldo is the best bug guy I know of!

YES! Plant them in the ground! Although you can grow roses in pots (and I do have 30 in pots right now) the ground is the best place for them. I wouldn't worry about the sun. They'll LOVE it! And don't worry about the leaves being rained on. Rain is the BEST way to water a rose when ever possible. Roses are way tougher than people give them credit for. They're NOT hot house plants at all. And these minis are all own root so they should be fine out there.

I think the border idea is wonderful! But do remember that some of these minis can get as tall as a regular size rose. The mini only applies to the size of the bloom and leaf not the plant. With these grocery store minis it's hard to say because they rarely come with name tags you can look up but you'll know in the first year or two how big they can get.

If you decide you'd like to get more roses, big or mini, ask here first about where the best places to get them on line are. Or go to a local nursery (not Home Depot or Lowes) and ask them. But not a lot of nurseries carry minis so you'll probably have to look on line for those. But there are hundreds of beautiful minis to chose from in all kinds of colors, shapes and sizes!

I'd also suggest contacting your local rose society. I'm in zone 6 and your in zone 9 which makes a big difference. Someone from your local society would be able to give you much more specific information for your area and climate.

And in the future maybe post your questions on the regular rose forum. I know that you have minis but not very many people frequent this one and you'll get more responses on the regular rose forum. And maybe more from your area too.

• rosesforthesoul
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for your "diagnosis". It makes me feel so much better to know what I am dealing with over here. I already checked the web page that you mentioned and it is GREAT! In the pictures, they look just like the one I saw yesterday. It is amazing that such a little thing can do so much damage. I have not seen another one, but almost all the roses have extensive damage in the leaves. So, I guess, that there must be a lot of them.
    Therefore, it is time for a cure. I have here a couple of insecticides, but one is specially for roses. It is called SPECTRACIDE IMMUNOX PLUS INSECT & DISEASE CONTROL. It says in the label that the main ingredient is PERMETHRIN. According to that website, any insecticide labeled for Roses should kill the rose slugs. I am going to try it tonight. If you have any suggestions, I will appreciate it.
    I also think that planting the roses as borders would make the flowerbed "pop". Like you said, I really don't know the name of all the ones that I have because they didn't have a tag. But, I think it would be something different and they would look great. Maybe I can have a "lower level" on the border of the flowerbed and play it safe with the size. Right now, almost all of them are around 15 inches and the smallest between 10 to 12. So, I guess that they may grow at least to be 24 inches.
    So, you have 30 roses in pots? it must be beautiful! Have you been cultivating roses for long? I wish I had, but never before I have had the opportunity to do so. I really want to keep learning about roses and to work on a "rose garden".
    Like I said, our yard is not too big, but there is enough space for a very small "rose garden".
    I have been thinking about enrolling in the American Rose Society. In my area, Central Florida, there are a few Rose Societies. Two in particular are more convenient for me. I am going to get in touch with them. In October, there is a big Rose Show in Ocala and I already have plans to go.
    I like all roses, but I do have a soft spot for miniatures. I will take your advice about asking here in the forum where I can find them, etc. The other day I almost brought a Rose Tree at Home Depot, but, my husband, who is a way more experienced gardener than I am, pointed out to me that upon closer inspection it was not healthy at all. And that is just not worth it. It is better to get your plants from a reputable nursery or grower and not ending up with a headache.
    Again, thanks SO MUCH for taking the time to answer my questions and for helping me out with this.
    Have a goodnight,
    Ana

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I grew up with roses. My mom had over a hundred all the time I was growing up and I worked out there with her all the time. As she got older and began to fail I moved in to take care of her and took over the garden. By then she was down to just 16 roses. I still have those 16 and since her passing have added many more so that I'm back up to 113 roses plus another 70 of my own rose seedlings. We have a slightly larger than normal suburban lot and if I had my way I'd rip up the grass and plant it all with roses but my brother lives here too now and he loves his lawn tractor, lol!

The spetracide should do the trick. Spraying tips: Water the roses well before spraying, never spray if the temps are going to be above 85 degrees (so the evening might be good because it will be cooler), or if it's windy, always spray upwards from the bottom so you get the undersides of the leaves where the bugs hide. Always follow the directions on the label! And ALWAYS wear protective clothing, mask and goggles!

I think it's a great idea to join the ARS and your local society. Unfortunately Florida has some very distinct rose growing problems and a local society will be the best place to learn about those things and what to do about them.

I have to agree with your husband. It's always best to start out with a healthy rose to begin with. Makes it much easier to keep it that way.

Do go to that show! You'll fall in love with everything and you meet tons of great rose people who won't roll their eyes at you when you talk endlessly about roses, lol!

• rosesforthesoul
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Over 100 roses! That is just fantastic!. What a wonderful story about you and your Mom's roses!. Thanks for sharing it with me!. Your garden must be something to behold with all those roses and the story behind them!. Those 13 roses that you still have that belonged to your mother are quite the legacy. I agree that you should have the whole yard for your roses, but men have some kind of "special bond" with their tractors and their grasses. My husband is "adamant" about the grass and mowing it. If it were up to me, I would have the whole yard cover in flowerbeds and "paths" to go from one flowerbed to another. I would only left just one spot with grass for the dogs. But, the lawnmower is the winner in this battle, lol!
    My story with roses is different: I always wanted to grow roses, since I was a little girl. My mother, who is AN EXTRAORDINARY gardener, has have the most beautiful garden in our hometown since I can remember. She has every flower, tree, vines, etc. that you can think of and then some. Her yards is like a botanic garden, in an smaller scale.
    The big "absentee" has always been the rose. Mom always wanted to grow them, but my Dad always said that he was going to have a rose garden when he retired. So, my Mom didn't grow any roses and I have never had the opportunity to have a garden until now.
    My Dad retired quite a few years ago but, for some reason, he never got around to start his rose garden, which was kind of odd as he was a man that follow his dreams and his plans. Unfortunately, he passed away last November and it has been devastating for all of us, specially me. I miss him terrible and can't seem to get over his passing. So, one day at the grocery story I saw these beautiful little roses and got one. Believe it or not, having the roses and working on them have helped me greatly to, at least, feel that there is still a way that I can do something that involves him. I don't know how to put it into words.
    Thanks for your tips about how to spray. I followed them and my roses are doing much better. Some of them lost quite a few leaves, but I guess that is because of the spraying, but the canes are green, green and there is a lot of new growth on them, even flowers and new buds.
    I already contacted the Rose Society in the next county and I am waiting to receive the membership form. It is the same society that is having the show in October! And I also became a member of the American Rose Society! I am so excited about this. I just want to learn more about roses and grow them correctly.
    Have a great day,
    Ana

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Thank you, Ana, for sharing your story with me too! I'm sorry to hear that your dad never got his rose garden but I do know what you are saying about the roses bringing you closer to him. And there is something healing about any kind of gardening. The spring my mom died my brother and I were devastated. After spending months and months caring for mom suddenly we had nothing to do with ourselves. We decided to redo the rose bed and it was our saving grace and a tribute to her too. It made us both feel closer to her and at the same time being outside and working in the soil gave us a sense of peace too.

I'm so glad to hear the roses are doing better! Please post pictures in the gallery when they bloom. Maybe we can figure out what their names are!

Sponsored