Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_co_gw

Dresden Doll is a Tough Broad

michelle_co
16 years ago

Drought tolerance: check.

I planted her a month or so ago and forgot to give her a dripper. No wonder she looked a little yellow around the gills. We've had a miniscule amount of rain this month.

Cheers,

Michelle

Comments (6)

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

That's a terrific vote for her, but she comes from here too where rain is scarce and it's hotter than heck:) I hope you add a pic to your thread when she blooms. I may have to add her to my collection in the fall, I must skip the 'D' table every time I go in there.
    Leslie

• michelle_co
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am jealous that you live near Sequoia, and glad that I don't live near it. :-) I could lose the farm buying roses there!

The bloom on Dresden Doll is very sweet and old fashioned looking. It's a cup shaped antique white. I will post a photo when it recovers and blooms again.

I need to post a photo of Suprise Suprise. It's sure a cutie, too. Doesn't really look like a HT form mini roses - it is reminiscent of your photo of Orchid Jubilee, and it's a dusky plum color.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

I was gone for 13 years and they came out with a lot of roses that I missed. The first few years I bought a dozen or so every year but when the deer kept eating them, I gave up finally. Also when I came to town I didn't have a lot of time to really look, I'd have a catalog and know the roses I wanted to get.

Yes, walking into Sequoia in the spring is like letting a kid loose in a candy store:) OTOH, It is nice to be able to talk to them and ask about the roses before I purchase them. I talked myself out of several roses that wouldn't have been what I wanted. Seeing them in person is so much better and how I always walk out with more than I intend to buy also:) I wish I had your property though, I'm running out of room. I had plenty of room for all that I wanted add until I found out this spring that I built my mini garden on the north side of the house. Put the skids on my buying much this spring. Kept me busy instead moving roses.

Surprise Surprise sounds really pretty, I'd like to see a pic of that one too. You're description sounds really great. I'm a sucker for that color still. Dresden Doll bloom on HMF and at Sequoia is a pale pink. Yours is a white?

After the heat we've had all summer the minis have done the best, I'm only going to add another floribunda and a few more minis in the fall. I don't think I'm going for any more HT's unless I see one I just have to have, it's just too hot here and I'm out of shade and sun spots.
    Les

• pacnwgrdngirl
    16 years ago

Hi guys, I just got Dresden Doll at Heirloom's sale. I just planted it, will post a photo when it blooms again. It is so pretty, kinda mossy too. I ordered some roses from Sequoia this year, they were super healthy, nice ones when they arrived. It would not be good if I lived near them!!! I live a state away from Heirloom and I still get into trouble. :o)

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

I'd like to see that, I really like the looks of this rose. It's so not nice though to be talking about planting roses:) My temp on the front porch at 4pm in the sun said 117...actually I think it was only 100. It'll be awhile before I can plant anything.

I'm also looking at another Hybrid Bracteata, Precious Dream, I like Julie Link and Tangerine Jewel so well. Looking at My Best Friend too.

I got 3 from Heirloom in May and they're having a hard time with the heat, we hit it so early this year. It is very nice to be able to go into Sequoia and look over the roses:) I wish I had a lot more room, yet I'm kind of at my limit for what I can easily care for now.

• gilli2007
    16 years ago

My Dresden Doll is doing fabulously. I got it at the beginning of Summer. A lovely healthy little plant. Mossy buds and stems. Beautiful delicate pink flowers which fade to creamy white.
    I got another mini moss at the same time called Paintbrush. It has lovely yellowy peach buds which open to single flowers. The blooms don't last very long and quickly fade to creamy white. It is a very robust plant though and the fragrance of the moss when you touch it is lovely.

Sponsored