Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturalchick27

Cinderella Kordana tree rose question

Naturalchick27
12 years ago

I have two Cinderella tree roses. They are in pots and suffered from blackspot recently which is gone now, thank God. But now when the blooms open, they are brownish on the edges. They are in a shaded area of the yard because I thought intially that maybe the sun was causing the discoloration. Has anyone else had this issue? Also I am thinking about how to prep them for winter. Should I plant them and cover with mulch, leaves and maybe a burlap fabric? At the moment they are over a foot tall.

Comments (8)

• Naturalchick27
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a photo

Here is a link that might be useful: discolored petals

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Natural, it's hard to say, because there are some fungal diseases (botrytis) and/or insects (thrips) that can cause those brown edges, but my money is on the heat. A lot of my roses are getting those crispy edges too. And particularly the paler colored ones. See if moving them to a spot that gets some shade during the hottest part of the day helps.

Now, how tall are the tree roses? Is it the standard size tree rose with a 36" trunk or the smaller ones with the 18" trunk? It's hard to judge their height from your pictures. Mine is like 6 feet tall now between the pot, the trunk and then the rose bush on top and there is no way I can protect the graft at the top of the plant that high up by packing it with mulch. On a tree rose, besides the root ball in the pot, you have to protect the graft area where the rose and the tree trunk are connected. If that graft dies your rose will die. If you have a garage or shed they should go in there. I pack the graft with crumpled newspapers, then wrap the whole rose, trunk and all, with burlap then put one of those big brown paper leaf bags over the top of it and it goes into the shed up on a pot trolley. Be sure to leave yourself some way to get water into the pot. It should be watered once a month throughout the winter.

• Naturalchick27
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Seil. One is 31 inches from the tallest cane to the where the plant hits the soil and the other is 32 inches. I re-examined the blooms that are about to open. I peeled back the green part of the bud and noticed a tiny insect almost naked to the eye. It was reddish brown and moved really fast when I peeled the bud back. Is this insect causing the damage? The trees are in a shaded part of the yard where they now get filtered sun.

For protection I don't have a garage. Will my basement be ok? There is no heat down there. I can get some of those pot trolleys and burlap.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Those are probably thrips and you will need an insecticide meant for thrips to get rid of them. Go to a reputable nursery and ask for the correct product and follow the instructions carefully. Or you can live with them until they disappear due to changes in the weather.

I never, ever recommend bringing roses inside. Not even in a cold basement. The conditions are not right inside any home for roses to be healthy. Even if the basement is unheated it will still be too warm and they won't go dormant. They'll be trying to grow with no sun and way to little humidity. I've killed several that way trying. Do you have any kind of shed or very protected area out of the wind in your yard? If so that's where I'd put it. Wrap the grafts in several layers of paper and burlap and then wrap the whole plant and keep it out of the wind. The only other suggestion I'd have is called the Minnesota tip. You'd have to dig a deep trench, lay them on their sides and bury them completely a good foot down. It's a huge amount of labor but it does work. It's what rose growers do in zones 4 and below to keep their roses alive through the winter. That's dedication!

• Naturalchick27
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I searched for pictures online of roses with similar symptoms and it is definitely thirps. I found a brand new bottle of insect spray by "Garden Safe" brand in my kitchen cabinet. It lists thirps on the lable. I gave both the trees a good spray. It says to repeat every seven days.

I will have to invest in a shed then. Can I store my miniature parade roses in there too? Also, how much should I cut off before storing them? Can I plant them in the ground next spring? Thanks for all of your help so far. I appreciate it greatly:)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

That should do the trick then for the thrips!

Yes, putting the minis in there will work just fine. As for pruning I don't do any pruning in the fall unless there is a cane that is way longer than the rest and won't fit inside the wraps. You're going to get some winter cane die back anyway and if you cut them short in the fall by spring you'll have nothing left to work with. Leave as much as possible and the rose will tell you where it needs cutting next spring.

• Naturalchick27
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your help Seil. I went out yesterday to give them another spray and they are all bright pink with barely any brown spots showing. I think that spray did the trick. I also sprayed some of my other roses just in case. I will post an updated photo later on :)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Great news!

Sponsored